WRX window tinting - Columbus, Ohio

Anyone know a good place to get windows tinted in Columbus, Ohio. I have a rally blue 2003 WRX. I'm not sure of state limits but want all windows done and possibly the top area of the windshield. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
GMan

I had mine done at a place called Professional Eclipse and was happy with the results. I had all the windows done, but not the windshield stripe. I scheduled an appointment and he did it while I waited.

If you want to check it out, let me know.

Ohio's law is 50% sides and rear:

Steve

Reply to
Steve
50% is VERY weak and almost not worth the effort. I would strongly suggest 35% smoked metallized film (does not turn purple with age). Unless you piss off a police officer, you should not get into trouble. You definitely can see through the window with it. Also, lower both front windows all the way when getting pulled over. Make sure too that a lifetime or at least 5 year warrantee is included. If you see tiny bubbles or crease marks, make them redo that particular window.

Unfortunately tint is much more expensive in Ohio than down south but the comfort and looks make it definitely worth the expense.

CW

Reply to
CWu

Agreed. I should have mentioned in my post that I went with 35%. He had a car there that had 50% and I had the same thought as you: Why bother? The place I went to does have a lifetime guarantee.

I actually got pulled over maybe a month ago for no front plate (I'll be damned if I'm going to screw bolts straight into my bumper. I don't know why they don't have better mounts for the WRX.) The state trooper didn't say a word about the tint. I even forgot to roll the windows down until he walked up to the car. He was kind enough to give me a warning about the plate.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Thanks for the reply. How much did it cost you? You would definitely go with 35%?

Reply to
GMan

No question 35% is the right choice. Any more and you risk ticketing (it will be very obvious and conspicuous) and redoing the whole thing. Any less and you may as well not get it done--you will be hard pressed to tell if it is even tinted!

On my other car, it was $260 in CLE--I am guessing the WRX would be less though because on my other car, the rear windows have a quarter window which they counted as "extra". Same job in Florida would be $150 or less!!! I am expecting my 04 WRX this month so haven't looked into it yet but will definitely be getting it done this summer.

CW

Reply to
CWu

$159 + tax. Personally, yes - 35% is definitely the way to go.

The glare in the first picture makes the tint on the sides look darker than it really is:

Steve

Reply to
Steve Jones

Thanks for the advice and pictures. MY WRX is rally blue so I think it will make the tint look darker. Also the darker interior will help with that also. Was looking on I-club.com and most WRX owners there get 20%, but I think that might be to much of a Cop attraction.

Reply to
GMan

My only question about the tint, aftermarket, is does it still have that little area at the very top of the glass where it is still original color. you know, when you have your windows down half way can you see the tint does not go all the way to the edge?

I had this about 15 years ago on my first car, and i never bought aftermarket tint since then.

the technology may be better now, but i think it looks goofy unless it goes all the way to the edge.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Smith

Usually they do leave a gap at the edge intentionally. If it were right on the edge, there is a tendency for the film to fray and then start to peel. Personally, it doesn't really bother me.

BTW, what do you mean by aftermarket? I don't think any passenger car has any substantial tint to the sides and rear like SUV/trucks.

What really has improved over time is the thermal/UV filtering, the immunity to bubbles over time (better adhesives), and color preservation.

CW

Reply to
CWu

I had window tint put on my brand new 1985 Tempo when it was brand new. it looked sharp.. it was a black car with DARK tint on the sides. I never knew that is why the tint didn't go all the way up though. I thought it was because the cruds who put it in didn't know what they were doing :)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Smith

Hey, i was just told that they can't apply the good "metalized" tint on the Forester because the antenna in the side window. they said it would interfere with recepton.. please tell me this isn't true.. i really need to have my windows tinted... although i don't think i will drive to Columbus to do it... there are plenty of places up here in Toledo to go to.

;)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Smith

SOB! Sorry for my last (worthless) post; ya gotta hate when that happens.. Anyway, I was thinking the same thing about heavy and metalicized tints. FWIW I'd follow their advice and stay to non-metal films. :-( That said, has anyone added an aftermarket antenna to their Subie? I was going to add one of those little triangular wedge types to the roof to (hopefully?) help reception. Terry - '02 Regatta-Red 5spd GT wagon - 20k miles Yakima / TandeMover / Rockymount rack - To reply, get rid of the "commensense" ?

Reply to
TW-Ohio

Very good point.. and i was going to start a thread on that... it probably needs its own. i want to add an aftermarket anntenna too.. the "wire" one is crap, and doesn't pick most of the stations i listen to. I live in toledo and i listen to a couple of Detroit stations. they came in fine on my old Pontiac Sunfire with a regular anntenna. but i cant get them in on the subrau.

if no one answers it here, i will start the new thread tomorrow asking if anyone else has done this.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Smith

Consider it done! TW 02 GTwgn Youngstown, OH

Reply to
TW-Ohio