02 Mazda 626 belts

My Mazda 626 recently hit 60,000 miles and I recently had the belts changed because they were starting to show cracks and slipping on occasion, but now that I've had them changed (by a mechanic, not myself) I get the high pitched squeel of them slipping pretty much every time I start it up after its sat for awhile. Any thoughts?

Reply to
texasaggie05

Alternator belt isn't tight enough would be my guess, if your car doesn't have a serpentine belt system. If it does then you either got the wrong belt or you have an engine-driven accessory getting ready to sieze up and wipe out your new belt in short order.

In other words, you should probably get it fixed right away.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Now that I think about it, the last time a mechanic touched one of my cars, he replaced the a/c compressor on my '85 Alliance. He got the a/c work done well, but he screwed up putting the serpentine belt back on; he got it in some sort of alternate configuration where it *almost* fit perfectly, but not well enough that it didn't squeal. That's another possibility.

Reply to
clifto