1985 Mazda 626, clutch problem

Hi there

I am no mechanic, but on the other hand I am not scared to jump in and try to fix things myself (and it *usually* works out ok :-)

I've been given a 1985 Mazda 626, but basically something seems to be failing on it every week - first a brake light, then the fuel filter clogged up, then the wheel cylinder in the right rear brake sprung a leak. All these small things I have managed to fix myself, but now it seems the clutch is going...

The symptoms are that if I try to accelerate "hard" (not *real* hard, just reasonably hard) then it is like the clutch is slipping, just as if I were riding the clutch as I accelerated. I usually need to ease off the clutch pedal and then the speed slowly picks up as normal.

Does anyone have any ideas what the cause could be? Could the clutch need replacing, or is it maybe something simpler?

And is replacing a clutch something an amateur can attempt himself (what tools does it require for example)?

Thanks Peter

Reply to
Peter

I meant "ease off the accelerator pedal"...

Reply to
Peter

That's a dead clutch, you need to take the gearbox out, it's not rocket science but it's easier if there's 2 of you & you probably want to assume you'll need to go & get the last bit you need to refit it only after you've taken it out.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

check the adjustment, (if yours is adjustable) otherwise it is a new clutch job.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

You should be able to depress the pedal slightly, say half an inch, before it starts to operate the clutch mechanism. If there is no free play like this, there's a chance that the clutch is not being allowed to fully engage. It's like driving around with your foot slightly pressing the pedal. Never ever let it do this unless you like the smell of burning clutch plates.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham