1982 Toyota Starlet electrical problems

I purchased this car about a year ago after it had been sitting in impound. I have had consistent problems such as the battery draining when the car is not used for more than a day, the engine fuse occasionally snaps disabling the alternator, and sometimes the car continues running when the key has been removed. I only can shut it by pulling the engine fuse. I replaced the alternator and the problems have continued. I suspect a short, but don't know where. Any advice?

Reply to
derek

Sounds as though you have found the right place to look.....you will need to dig a little further into the circuit though..... try to follow the wiring diagram to find the source that is drawing the power that keeps your engine running..... the fuse is there to protect the circuit, but something in that circuit keeps drawing amperage.... try to find what else is wired to that circuit....a wiring schematic would help or you might be able to look at one from the dealer if you ask them...

good luck..

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

As far as the running with IG switch off goes, the most likely cause is a bad ignition switch. That problem can most easily be caused by B+ remaining available at the coil and ignitor, which is supplied through the 'run' and 'start' contacts of the ignition switch. A really bad carbon track or smashed/broken contacts could conceivably pass enough current to keep that little ignition system pumping, along with the idle fuel solenoid open in the carburetor. It could also explain your rapid battery depletion.

Regarding the blown fuses, here's an idea: follow the large white wire that attaches to the B+ stud on the alternator. It should disappear into a thick harnass near the engine. Follow that harnass all the way to the fuse box with the "engine" fuse that keeps blowing. Somewhere along the engine, possibly near the exaust manifold or a moving pulley, you may see it make contact with metal. Look for wear on the harnass jacket and insulation at that point. Alternately, firmly wiggle the wires with the engine running to see if you can blow the fuse, then try to determine where the short is.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish