Distributor/Oil pressure

Removed distributor to replace intake manifold gaskets on my 99 Chevy Tahoe. When I reinstalled the distributor and started engine I got no oil pressure. I have removed and reinstalled distributor several times and a used screwdiver to try and align oil pump shaft. Still no pressure. If the distributor is fully seated isn't the oil pump engaged? Is it possible it can be in time and fully seated but not engaged with the oil pump?

Reply to
DAM

did you remember to plug the oil pressure sensor back in?

Reply to
jfrancis311

As far as I know I did not unplug it. I thought about this after my post and realized that the dash guage is pegged to the right. If it really is no or low pressure I'm thinking it should be over on the left. I need to find the sensor and check though. I really hope it's that simple and I don't have to pull that distributor again. Thanks for the reply, I'll post the resolution.

Reply to
DAM

Reply to
Mike Walsh

Thanks Mike, I'm really getting a lot of good info off of this board.

Reply to
DAM

Does that engine have an intermediate shaft that runs from the bottom of the distributor down into the oil pump? A 289 Mustang I had once did. I pulled the distributor and the shaft pulled up then dropped very quietly down into the oil pan. The engine started but sounded like a coffee can full of marbles. I had to pull the pan to retrieve the shaft. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

YEAH!!!! Found the disconnected pressure gauge wire. All the clues everyone gave me convinced me it HAD to be that. How that @#%$ wire got pushed down to where I found it I'll never know. Sure did learn a lot about distributors and oil pump shafts so it was (almost) worth it. Thanks for all the help!

Reply to
DAM