1984 GM V6 2.8L 173ci - has Knock Sensor??? If so how to test?

I've got an 84 Pontiac Firebird (garage queen with 130k mi) that has annoying ping/clatter/knock at light throttle accelleration. In fact its' pretty much had it for years now. I've recently performed a tuneup including O2 sensor. Couple years ago the TPS was replaced. Everything appears to be mechanically in order.

I wanted to investigate the EGR and Knock Sensor next. My Haynes book only references a Knock Sensor but no details.

Q: Does this car/engine have a Knock Sensor to aid with electronic spark control? (It does not have a vacuum advance - only the wired (electronic?) advance cntrl to the distributor)

Q: If it does have a sensor - Where is it located and How do I Check/Test it?

Q: If it does not have a sensor - how does the ECM 'know' when to advance/retard ignition timing?

thanks

Reply to
loadhawg

Shep

The way to test a knock sensor as far as I know is to have the vehicle fully warmed up and then take a hammer and tap on the intake manifold. If it has a knock sensor and it is working, the engine will stumble slightly when you tap on it.

I normally look for or at the heat riser valve spring when I hear one of those making a rattle or knock under light acceleration. They fail or get sticky lots. This would be a weighted flapper on one exhaust right at the manifold.

Mike

Mike Romain

Make sure if doing this that the EGR passages in the intake manifold are not plugged up.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt