1987 Aerostar with no heat

OK,

This is what is going on.. I have no heat and dont know much regarding the heater core, or how the heating system works... This is my ideas, I know there is a heater core, Two hoses that go into this core, and somehow they are attached to the blower motor and the radiator.....

Now that you see im totally clueless this is the other observations I have made.

When I allow the Van to run for a bit, One of the hoses going to the heater core gets hot while the other does not., When I turn my heater on, the flow from my vents drops... When it is on vent it blows real nice, when it is on heater it is rather weak, same for the defrost...

And do I have to drain the Radiator to do anything with the core? Do I have to go through the glove box to access it?

Other information they may be relavent... its an 1987 Aerostar V6 3.0 has Air conditioning that does not work, I figured it was just out of freon but never really matered much to me anyway.

any observations you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Oh, And I have recently changed the thermostat.

Reply to
Krypt

Is there air trapped in the cooling system? (could have happened when you changed the t-stat)

Is there enough coolant? check it with the engine hot, heater on "hot" and fan on high.

Is the coolant the right mixture (50/50)?

Has the system been backflushed?

although when you said one heater hose is hot and the other is not, that makes me think "plugged heater core".

Reply to
Bob M.

Yes

No, it's even harder than that.

The evaporator of the AC likely has a leak, and the oil from the AC has likely coated everything and plugged it up with oily dirt.

Get a manual and set aside a couple days, or take it to a shop. If the body is getting soft, like they all did up here in the Great White North, it will likely cost more to fix than the van is worth.

Rusty AeroScares, up to about 1995, are a dime a dozen. I've had 2, and loved them. I thought they were hard to work on 'till I got my Trans Sport.

Reply to
clare