88 Aries has NO heat

1988 Dodge Aries 2.2 AT 4dr Blue with grey interior does not produce heat for defrost or heater. Cooling system has been flushed, Thermostat replaced, Heater Control Valve replaced. I have flushed the heater core (real easy to get to hoses on this car ) and it has good flow. I can feel hot water at the core inlet and outlet hoses. I have pulled the Control Head out, it is working properly. The only thing I can think is that the heater door itself is stuck. How mush of a PIMA will it be to get to that blend door? Thanks in advance-

-Sean

Reply to
gacyota

If the temp slide on the control moves, follow the cable to the arm of the door to see if the door is moving. sometimes the cable will slide in the hold down bracket making it feel as if the door is moving.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Is the blend door visible without taking anything apart?

Reply to
gacyota

no, its insdie the dash, but the arm is and you will see it move

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks for the reply - that is my project for today, I will update my progress.

Reply to
gacyota

I have messed with this POS all day today. The Blend Door does open when i pull the cable. So I decided to mess with the cooling system again and discovered that the heater core is very clogged. I rigged a way to shoot my garden hose into the heater core and i only get a trickle of water from the outlet. I now need to know how to get to that heater core. I'm sure I will have to remove dash, But Where do I get illistrations and directions?

Reply to
gacyota

I figured that was your problem, start with getting a factory service manual if possible, and yes the lower lower comes out, it has been to many years for me to tell you how to do it, the last one I did was more then 1o years ago.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Good News - I put a flushing solvent in the heater core overnight and freed the blockage - CAR IS FIXED - Thanks for help

Reply to
gacyota

What solvent did you use? Mine was plugged, in my 88 Aries and nothing worked. I got a new core for $50.00 and went through the effort to replace it.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Fraser

It may not work to do this on your Aries, but it costs virtually nothing but time. In about 1985, I had just gotten a 1974 Plymouth Valiant with a 318 V8 and air conditioning, and found that the heater put out very little heat due to a clogged heater core. I connected the heater hoses in reverse to see if I could backflush it, more out of a "nothing to lose" attitude than anything else. Some fiddling needed to be done, since on that car the inlet and outlet pipes are different sizes, but as soon as the engine had warmed up, a gratifying blast of hot air came from the heater. I let it cool down, put back the hoses to their correct positions, and flushed the cooling system. From what I flushed out, apparently somebody had decided that if a little cooling system stop-leak was good, a lot was better. With the cooling system cleaned out and refilled properly, with no stop-leak, the heater always worked fine on that car for years afterwards, til I sold it.

Reply to
Gene Poon

Dan, I put that Zerex Super Flush in the heater core only and let it sit for almost 24 hours. When I first started trying to flush it, i was getting a small trickle. When I back flushed it the next day, It was flowing like it should.

Reply to
gacyota