1990 Geo going into jerks when idling

I have a 1990 Geo Prizm that was running great until yesterday. Today, it started going into jerks when I start the car and idle. If I depress the gas when idling, the jerks stop. I got out of the car when it was idling and found that the muffler was spewing the exhaust in jerks as well.

When I start driving, I can feel the jerks quite a bit in lower gears and when accelerating after shifting gears.

What could this be? Please post any info or feedback.

(The car has 125K miles on it and has a stick shift with a 6-month old clutch. Starts just fine and no underhood leaks).

Reply to
rs_mv

Probably an ignition problem, like bad spark plug(s) or plug wire(s).

Reply to
Robert Hancock