1994 s-10 engine problem...need help

It's a '94 s-10 p/u w/ the 4.6 Vortec engine. Automatic. Within the past year I've replaced the fuel sending unit, fuel lines, fuel filter, battery and several other unrelated items. Unfortunately this past week on the way to work (in a snow storm of course) the engine stopped and would not restart. Upon checking the battery it is strong enough and supplying the necessary power everywhere. When I try to start it up everything sounds like it should, except the engine is not starting. Any ideas as to where I should start to look to figure out what is wrong? Should the first thing I look to do is get some "dry gas"? Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
timbittner317

If you had a timing light, you could see if you have spark during no start conditions. You need to determine if you have a no spark problem or no gas problem. Some models had trouble with fuel injection "spiders" or hoses in the manifold that could cause trouble. DO you smell gas under the hood when this happens?

Why did you change the fuel system parts in the past?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Yes there is the smell of gas under the hood. (Forgot to mention that in the post.)

The fuel sending unit was replaced because the engine was not receiving gas. The rest were changed at the same time because the lines were rusted and corroded.

Reply to
timbittner317

tim-if you have spark then I would put a fuel pressure gauge on the fitting on the back of the engine-near the fire wall, near the master cylinder.(buy or rent or borrow one). If you key on the truck you should a)hear the fuel pump run-if you do then b) look at the pressure guage-in fact forget listening for the pump because if the gauge goes up at all, the pump is running. What you'll probably see is around 60 lbs psi key on initially for 2 seconds or so. Then I suspect(if you smell fuel) that after the fuel pump stops running(2 seconds) your pressure will 'bleed' off immediately-if it does you have a fuel leak somewhere and with the 4.3l vortec v-6 my guess is inside the 'plenum'. Either the fuel pressure regulator(available after market-reasonable, or the plastic fuel lines that feed the injector unit(I usually purchase thru GM-called a 'Nut Unit'. If this is the direction that you go, once the upper plenum is taken off, I unhook the neg. batt. terminal right off the bat , then when the upper plenum is removed I turn your ignition on, go back under the hood, reach over and thread in the neg. batt. terminal and watch the injector unit-usually it'll reveal the source of your problem. Keep in mind-check for spark, check for fuel pressure, don't jump to this conclusion but this could possibly be the way it goes. good luck Jerry@Peru-Motors

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
jerry