need help tracing a starting problem...

I have a 1993 Toyota P/U (Basic,no model name) with a little 4 cyl engine.It will start just fine one minute and not the next. All I get is one loud click..try again,same click..try again and it starts. No pattern as the when it will or will not start. Battery is new. When it does start,it starts strong and immediatly...and I can sometimes go all day stop and start without problems...then the next day clicking at every attempt. The clicking "seems" to come from what I guess is a fuse box on the side panel inside the engine compartment near the battery. Any tips on how to trace this problem?

Reply to
Ray

The solenoid contacts (wear items) that's part of the starter is probably the source of the problem. These (left and right) are about $20 at the dealer. See the following:

http://www.team-> I have a 1993 Toyota P/U (Basic,no model =A0name) with a little 4 cyl

Reply to
johngdole

There is a relay, particularly on Fords, that also may click loudly. However, since the solenoid contacts are considered wear items, that's a place to check too.

Reply to
johngdole

It could also be the starter motor. The commutator may have a bad spot and/or the brushes may be worn. It not that hard to DIY replace it. Most auto parts stores can bench test it for you if you take it in to them.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

Thanks for the help and the possible reason's for my problem. But before I slide under the truck and pull the starter,can anybody advise me how to trace the starting system first?

And use the process of elimination first. I replaced the battery (it was bad anyway) now I'm going the check the cables and replace if they look bad then???

Is there a "starter relay" on this truck and where would it be located??? Can I use a "jumper" on the starter to test it before removal??

Thanks, Ray

Reply to
Ray

Don't forget to check the ground cable from chassis to engine.

If I remember correctly the solenoid is part of the starter. If so, all you need to do is jumper from the heavy positive wire that powers the starter to the smaller positive wire that powers the solenoid. Be very careful and make sure the transmission is in park or neutral and the emergency brake is fully set. Some might jack the rear wheels off of the ground for added safety. Also, the ignition key is not turned on when you do this.

Since you have an intermittent problem you may have to jumper it several times until you are satisfied if you still have the problem or not. No failure to engage and turn over the engine points to a problem before the solenoid and starter. If it still fails you have proved that the fault is either with the solenoid ( probably the contacts as pointed out by in another post) or the starter.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

Ray, The starter motor consists of two basic units, one the rotor that turns the engine and the other a very powerful solenoid. You can distinguish the solenoid by a galvanized cover plate (looks like a typical Hut with a tapered roof), this is where the main battery wire is also connected through a 14 or 17 mm nut. Open this cover and a spring loaded plunger would be visible, this plunger has a copper disc. When this solenoid is energized the copper disc goes and rests on two copper strips. When these strips are eroded deep sometimes the contact is made while at times one side of the disc remains untouched thus no turning of the rotor. You can find these copper strips as a set from spare parts dealers. These are also common with many Toyota starters and easy to get. Change these and your starter is good as new. Gibli.

Reply to
Gibli