1995 Park Avenue --- burned computer(?) under driver's seat

I recently got a used 1995 Park Avenue Ultra seemingly in decent general condition.

The driver's power seat controls don't work, but the front passenger seat works fine.

The side-view mirror controls don't work.

The driver's seat heater and the driver's recliner control also don't work, but those things work for the front passenger seat.

I just noticed a black plastic box under the driver's seat, visible from the rear. It has a couple of bundles of wires going in and out, and is mounted in a flimsy metal bracket. The plastic housing is badly melted, and when I look inside the box, I think I can see a circuit board that looks black and burned.

What is this melted box?

Reply to
Matt

I have surmised that it is the "memory seat module" (MSM) and that its failure to function explains all the problems I mention above.

Now I am left with the question of why it went bad and came rather close to burning up the car.

Reply to
Matt

The previous owner was of the 'larger' variety and crushed it?

Reply to
Andy

I thought of that too.

On the outboard side of the lower part of the seat is a chrome module having switches for the recline function and the seat heater. The outboard edge of that lower part does seem a little crushed as if someone crushed it by standing or sitting heavily on the edge of the seat. So I thought maybe some wires got pinched or a connector got broken or disconnected. With the seat removed, however, I can look at the connectors, and it seems they are rather well protected by a movable steel cage or frame. Still I won't claim that the problem wasn't due to some kind of damage as you suggest.

I have cut the wires going to the MSM and am able to "hotwire" the motors so as to adjust the seat, although rather unhandily. Still I am unable to adjust the side-view mirrors.

I probably erred in my earlier post when saying that the burned MSM explains the non-functioning driver's-seat heater. The seat heater doesn't seem to be connected to the MSM.

Reply to
Matt