'95 Park Avenue OBD II?

Is a '95 Park Avenue OBD II? I know the cutoff year was '96 when the gov't mandate said all cars had to be, but some went early. Was thinking about buying one and the engine was very weak, 165k, otherwise pretty clean, missed somewhat on acceleration but was weak besides that, almost like a plugged cat. Could perhaps be an egr issue. It had no check engine light on but I was in a hurry and didn't put it in prove-out mode to see if the MIL was functional or not. Also, if it is OBD II, can some scanners diagnose any problems with the HVAC (automatic climate control)? (Air wouldn't kick on at all.) TIA

Reply to
James Goforth

Most likely OBDII

It would not surprise me that a 95 would need a charge. Probably has a leaky compressor. Very common.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I don't *THINK* it is. OK, let's load the dealer scan tool software, and check. Fine, 1995 some were ODBII. First, is the tenth digit in the VIN an 'S'? Is it a Chevrolet, GMC or Pontiac? Humm, IIRC, a Park Avenue is a Buick, right? I guess the answer is no, at least not according to my tool. Only Chevvy, GMC and Pontiac were ODBII possible in 1995.

This makes it ODBI instead. Not a major issue, ODBI can have DTCs, do live data, all the same basic stuff as ODBII, so find an ODBI scan tool (a Tech II works well, a Tech I would do the trick too.)

Key on, engine not running, light should be ON. If not, it is either burned out, or disconnected, I'd guess either has equal probablity.

Very unlikely the HVAC is connected to the diagnostics system. GM was sloooow to integrate all systems in vehicles.

Reply to
PeterD

Should be. My scan tool shows it as OBDII

Yes. But you need a better unit.

Reply to
Steve W.

My son has a '95 Bonneville, and says its a transition year. His has an OBDII connector but an OBDI ECU. He doesn't know if the Buick is the same, but it could be. A $5000 Snap-On scanner at his work wouldn't read it, but he rented an Actron scanner at Pep Boys and that had no trouble scanning. Said it was about a $300 unit, but he can't remember the model. Be careful about buying something until you know what's up with your system.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Which tool are you using?

Reply to
PeterD

Many of the 95's did have the same physical connector. The pin-out is (very) different (doesn't use the ODBII pins) but you can physically plug it in.

I hear so many things about Snap-On's scanner not working with certain cars, that I've avoided these myself. I use a GM VDR unit myself, (it has a PC interface which is very nice, easier to read that the Tech II)

For ODBI systems, I use an aftermarket scan tool, which has a bunch of adapter cables. It works most of the time, but it seems I always seem to have problems with the transisition year GM vehicles. Not sure why.

Oh, wait, that is the aftermarket tool I have!

I could look at mine (it is in the garage so it would be another post) but the unit is clearly marketed as ODBI/ODBII compatible.

There is no way an Actron will do HVAC, or much other than engine stuff. But, it's a relatively good tool, easy to use. I often carry it with me when I'm in the field, and it will save the last scan and let me later download it into the PC to print a report for the owner if needed.

Reply to
PeterD

Both of the cheap ones show it as OBDII (Actrons) The Genisys also shows it OBDII My Tech 2 is out at the other shop, so I can't check it at the moment. The GM list I have shows it as OBDII as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yeah GM shouldn't have screwed around. They should have just done the full shot and went OBDII across the line.

That is the one part of the newer Genisys EVO that I wish could be retrofitted easily, direct video out.

Have two different Actron ones myself. They are the "loaner" tools, for the folks who I figure can actually understand what they do.

I wonder how long it will be before the Actron/Innova priced rigs will start covering the other modules? I see that a couple models now include graphing.

Reply to
Steve W.

I'd love to see them cover things like ABS.

Reply to
PeterD

Actron does have an ABS only unit. Not sure how good the coverage is and what it actually will do though.

Reply to
Steve W.

I've seen it, but never tried to use it. Mid price range, IIRC.

Reply to
PeterD