1996 Dodge Intrepid -- still acting up, dammit

Recently I posted here looking for opinions on why my '96 Intrepid was lurching and losing power and why the speedometer needle was jumping all over the place. I had a couple of speed sensors w/ wiring harnesses replaced, which took care of that problem... but ever since then, it's been idling and running rough (the Check Engine light came on this morning). I've obtained trouble code 43 through the ignition key method, which the Haynes manual describes as follows: "Peak primary circuit current not achieved with the maximum dwell time."

What could be the causing this? Any ideas on how to remedy trouble code

43 and make that friggin' Check Engine light go out?

Many thanks, Brian

Reply to
Brian

sounds like a coil problem, tie it down to which one(s) - if any.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

I've obtained trouble code 43 through the ignition key

Spark plug wires, spark plugs, and possibly a new coil pack (but not likely). Replace the plugs and wires at the same time- if a single plug is open-circuited, it will potentially cause the insulation on the new plug wire to fail and arc-thru.

Reply to
Steve

likely). Replace the plugs and wires at the same time- if a single plug

is open-circuited, it will potentially cause the insulation on the new plug wire to fail and arc-thru.

That fixed 'er, Steve! She's purring like a kitten and the CE light went out when I started it today after work.

(I was also pleasantly surprised to learn the coil pack is a self-contained unit that bolts off and on easily.)

Listen to this man, folks. He knows his stuff.

-B.

Reply to
Brian

Glad to hear it!

Well, at least with THAT model... having owned one for 13 years 1 month and a handful of days, and having covered 231,000 miles (so far...) :-p

OTOH, I've proven that I can't even remember whether the rental 300 I drove had a trunk key-lock or not! :-)

Reply to
Steve