67 impala convertable

can anyone tell me how to add fluid to the hydralic pump on the top. it has either leaked out of getting low. anyone have a repair manule on cd that they would like to share. thanks

Reply to
hairball67

It's been 15 yrs since I had my 67' SS Impala convert. but mind had a electric motor with two flex cables out both ends that were driving two jack-screw rams. The motor was mounted on the kickup in the trunk. A long time ago someone told me that not too many makers used Hyd.pumps because if you sprung a leak under pressure you would have a BIG mess on everybody and everything. If yours has a pump I would think that you could fill it like a power steering pump. Have you taken a look at it?

Rick

Reply to
thetoolman

First of all, I am ASSuming that this uses the same type pump as a Studebaker; I know Cadillac does. I don't have any experience with Chevy convertibles.

OK then... personally I would *replace* the pump if it is leaking at all, because AFAIK most hydraulic top systems were filled with DOT3 brake fluid, which will eat your paint if it's leaking. I think you can get a new pump from Hydro-E-Lectric (sp?) for a couple hundred bucks.

Then, to fill... there should be a fill plug on the end of the reservoir, remove that, then take a funnel with a hose firmly shoved on it and fill through that. Keep a towel under the pump to catch any overflow. Once it's full, reinstall the plug and run the top up and down a couple times. Check the level again and refill as necessary. Lather, rinse, repeat until the level does not drop. Clean up any spilled brake fluid to save your paint.

Some people flush the system and use ATF instead of brake fluid because ATF won't eat the paint; I can't comment whether or not that's a good idea.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
N8N

I agree with Nate. Back in the 60s, lots of makers used DOT-3 brake fluid in convertible top systems, but SOME used ATF, and some changed over at some point in time. Adding DOT-3 to a system that has ATF is not good, nor is the reverse! I would completely flush the system and refill with power steering fluid, personally. PS fluid is probably closer to the "Type A" trans fluid of the day than what you can buy now.

N8N wrote:

Reply to
Steve

thanks guys

Reply to
hairball67

Figure out if it has brake fluid or PS fluid in the system. Original was brake fluid though most everyone uses power steering fluid now even in the systems designed for brake fluid. The easiest way to add fluid is to pull the back seat and you will find the pump on a shelf in the middle of the seat back. You may be able to get it from the trunk if your skinny and nimble. It has a fill port on the pump. Couple words of caution.... Don't run the pump with the fill plug out and don't over fill the system.

Your system doesn't "get low". It is leaking. Quite often the ends of the hydraulic rams leak. You can get these or any other parts you need from

. He is a great guy to deal with andhas everything for convertibles that you can imagine. Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.