'96 GC-What do these "Check Enging" codes tell me??

For the last day or so my '96 ZJ 6 cyl. Laredo has been running rough and stalling. It'll smooth out for 5 miles or so then start stalling again. Just today the "Check Engine" light came on so I did the on-off-on-off-on-off-on thing with the ignition switch and got the following error codes.

Code Description

11 No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking. Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. CKP sensor target windows have too much variation.

12 Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 Key-on cycles. ( I had the battery disconnected over the weekend so I understand this one)

14 MAP sensor input above or below acceptable voltage. 5 volt output to MAP sensor open.

43 Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time.

43 Misfire detected in one or more cylinders 1 thru 6. (4 and 6 cyls.)

The "no crank reference signal" "MAP sensor below acceptable voltage" and "Peak circuit current not achieved" leave me scratching my head.

Can anyone tell me what these codes are indicating and what i can do to test for and correct these issues?

Best Regards,

Marcel

Reply to
maleemi

I would first start with cleaning the CPS connection. They get dirty easy and cause issues like above. A spray electronic contact cleaner is best, but WD40 will work in a pinch.

The CPS is located on the top driver's side of the bell housing. I would follow the wires to the plug. I don't know where the plug is on the GC.

There is a second CPS in the distributor, it can't hurt to clean that connection too.

When you lose spark, the other codes can set.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

The first thing to check is the battery cables. A bad battery connection can set all these codes.

It's also indicitive of a failing CPS (crankshaft position sensor). The sensor isn't cheap and is one pain in the butt to get at. Here is a pic from my 93 ZJ.

As for the MAP sensor, check the hose that runs to it from the inake rail. That hose has a tendency to crack. Be careful with the sensor though, it's a pricy bugger.

Reply to
DougW

Ok guys, Thanks for the info. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend :(

BTW, Is there a way for me to clear these codes from the cars system?

Best Regards,

Marcel

Reply to
maleemi

Yep.

Disconnect the battery, clean the terminals while your there, then reconnect. Code 12 will remain. The only way to clear a 12 is with a Scantool or fifty starts. Why 50 I have no idea.

Personally, I'd disconnect the battery, clean the terminals, then go through all the connectors and remove, clean, and put a blob of dilectric grease in them (sparkplug boot grease) to keep the water out. Clean the throttle body around the butterfly (toothbrush and TB cleaner works well)

Then when you start it, finish off cleaning the air passage by the butterfly valve. That helps clean up rough idle problems and should be done about twice a year as routine maintenance.

Reply to
DougW