1998 Malibu with blown Intake Manifold Gasket

Damn GM....

I got bit by this LIM / Dexcool fiasco.

My 1998 Mailibu V6 3.1 leaked out all its rad fluid & the engine went supernova when the LIM gasket failed. Luckily I think I caught it in time to save the engine. I pulled everything apart and found that the bolts holding the LIM to the block were just finger tight & engine oil had infiltrated the screw's threads- I wonder which came first- the oil or the loose bolts? grrrrrr....

Anyway, I've tried to determine how hot the engine got by looking at all the sensors. The only one with damage is the camshaft sensor- its wires are *slightly melted* at the sensor. Figure melting point is

300 F, so that's not too bad- I hope. Anyway, I pulled the heads, and using a straight edge I determined they wern't warped.

Questions:

The head bolts appear to have some sort of compound on them. The manual says they go in dry. Do I use locktite or not? You can better believe I will be using some on the LIM bolts whether GM says to or not. And do the head bolts get replaced- I've heard it both ways: better to do so, better to NOT do so.

The gasket kit I purchased includes valve seals. Should I take the valves out and replace the seals or just leave well enough alone?

De-carbonization: I'm going to clean the heads real well, along with the manifolds- but what about the pistons? Since they aren't coming out I think it would be unwise to use any sort of abrasive on them or the cylinders. But can I still clean them with a de-carb chemical of some sort? I'm worried about messing up the piston ring seal.

Any / all input is appreciated!

Reply to
jan