2.7 Chrysler engine

I have a 99 Sebring with 80K on it and the Mitsubishi build 2.5 V-6. I am hearing some really bad things about the new CHrysler built 2.7 V-6s that Chrylser has been using the Sebrings and Dodge Avengers since

2001.....engines seizing up at low mileages. Any opinions on the reliabilty of the 2.7?

Doug and Patty

Reply to
MRTYMCFLY

I am hearing some really bad things about the new CHrysler built 2.7 V-6s that Chrylser has been using the Sebrings and Dodge Avengers since 2001.....engines seizing up at low mileages. Any opinions on the reliabilty of the 2.7? _______________________________________________

Opinion: Any engine that seizes up at low miles is not reliable. Opinion: Your anonymous information source may not be reliable. Opinion: An engine that has been in use since 2001 is not new.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

These engines had some basic problems, including oil sludge formation and engine failure. Supposedly there are fixes to this, and frequent oil changes help avoid problems. Google for more information.

Reply to
HLS

Call a few junkyards and price them. If they are stone reliable, they are cheap. If there ain't many left, they are dear.

Reply to
Steve Austin

Neither did you.

It's not a Mitsubishi engine.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Yeah, you're right.....but they're still a piece of crap..

Reply to
BobJ

The early 2.7 had some problems, but for the past several years its been a reliable (if unremarkable) powerplant.

But no matter how bad it was, it couldn't possibly be as bad as the Mitsubishi engines that Chrysler used to use- if you were OK with one of those junkers, the 2.7 will seem like a miracle to you.

Reply to
Steve

Supposedly they are better now. For a while there they had some potential serious sludging problems if not maintained very well (and maybe even if they were). From what I hear the problem seems to be fixed but I wouldn't spend my money on a car that had one in it.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Reply to