95 explorer brake problem

Ok, I knew just enough to be dangerous when I tried to top off the brake fluid reservoir. I had a focus previously and the brake and power steering fluid were in the same reservoir. So I put power steering fluid into my brake fluid tank. The brakes started to fail, and after asking some questions, I found out it was because the power steering fluid had eaten away at the seals in the brake line. I had it flushed (although I don't think they did a thorough job), and I have just replaced the master cylinder. However, instead of having to push the pedal to the floor to get braking, now I get none at all, and no pressure on the peal. Could a power flush and bleed be in order? Or could it now be more serious?

Reply to
tseppish

Sure you don't mean brakes and hydraulic clutch?

It is. Every rubber part in the system has now failed or likely will soon. This means hoses, caliper seals, wheel cylinder parts and ABS components if so equiped. If you are EXTREMELY lucky you will have a brake pedal after the brakes are properly bled, but even then, the brakes should not be trusted.

Don

Don

Dought there is any amount of bleeding that would help. Introducing new fluid will dilute and wash away some of the oil but some will always remain. Also sounds like you didn't get around to bleeding until it was too late.

Every rubber part in the system has now failed or likely will

You can try to find a doner car in a junk yard and replace the whole system then you have to repair the doner system.

disston

Reply to
disston

Ouch!

On a 95 the fix might cost more than the vehicle is worth.

I have never seen a successful 'repair' of that problem. I have only seen a complete parts replacement including the contaminated brake lines as a 'fix'. The stuff still in the brake lines will damage any new parts you try to put in.

Mike

Mike Romain