2000 Lumina 3.1L Head Gasget (step-by-step guide)

I am a decent mechanic but would like a checklist to prepare for the change out tomorrow, using a Fel-Pro # HS 9957 PT-1, car has 109.000 mi. cherry condition did this procedure many times in past, have all air tools full everything else, need to know what to look for to determine if I want NAPA to do the heads.

2000 3.1L -->
F view
thanks Curt
Reply to
ctops.legal

On Dec 28, 3:30 pm, "ctops.legal" wrote: , need to know what to look for to

I couldn't get the photos to load. Maybe something wrong on my side. I'm a tightwad, but at 109K miles, I would put the heads back on without reworking them. I recently replaced the LIM gaskets on my '98 GM 3.1 w/175K miles without reworking them and the car runs strong and doesn't use oil. Replace all the intake/ head bolts. Replace your thermostat (don't use a cheap replacement) while you have the intake off because it's a pain in the arse to do it when the intake is back on. A few other posters will crucify me for this, but before you start, completely flush out the DexCool and replace the coolant with Ford GO5 antifreeze when you are done with your repair. It probably doesn't matter with FelPro replacements, however. Change your oil and filter before you start your car back up and change it again about 1K miles later. (Assuming that coolant leaked into the oil) Took bad the GM 3.1/3.4 engineers and accountants weren't made to do a few of these by themselves without any help. Too bad the 3.1/3.4 has such a bad, but deserved reputation. Except for the ease of repair, (or lack thereof) it's a decent engine.

Reply to
Kruse

Doesn't have a bad rep with me. Son's '93 3.1 Corsica went 180k miles with no engine problems. My '97 Lumina has 150k with no engine problems. His car rusted out, and mine is starting. Probably wouldn't do a head gasket, might do a LIM if it needed it. Two more years and the rust will probably bother me enough to junk it. Right engine mount is shot. You can see it, but it hasn't had an effect as far as I can tell. Neither car had Dexcool in them. I think I flushed it out of the Lumina when I bought it 5 years ago. The mount location pisses me off though. Have to pull the half shaft to change it. Some other complication I don't like too. Decided to let it slide because of the rust signaling impending doom anyway.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Yes the car is worth it, the thermostat went out which was replaced as with the waterpump, cooling sys. was flused see:

, I just would like a step-by-step custom guild that someone has remembered the 3.1L engine is very common, have got a FEL-PRO # HS

9957 PT-1, the thermostat going out caused the intake gasket to go because it's plactic so I'm told. I have built several other engines in the past but as I have learned there is always some little trick that's helps the job and it only comes from experence.

Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

Here's a link to a procedure for the left head. Don't ask me why it's only the left head.

If you look around enough you should find a step-by-step by some fan who did the job. Google is your friend, but you sometimes have to wade through a lot to get where you want. Or get the shop manual.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Yea thank's Vic I seen that I am surprised that these is not a utube vid. on a 3.1L it's so common, I used to know plenty of guys that were into restoration and pimpin rides I know parts and service have gone up as far as machine shop engine work, I remember a 350 we did for 600 bucks way back then, the carb was 2 hundred of it. Down here is the SE good deals are everywhere usually a car/truck with grass grown up around it in some yard will lead to a good ride.

Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

The important part of your link is that someone mentions that the intake manifold can leak coolant. My assumption is that the coolant circulates through the manifold to heat it up, or cool it. One of those - i don't really know which. All I know is that they seem prone to leaking. :-)

My father's Lumina had this problem. It was repaired once but now may have it again. My Lumina might have had this problem, luckily, I gave it to my son and he wrecked it - that turned out well. Other than that serious problem, they're pretty good cars! :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Yea so far so good there are 2 bolts behing the engine (manifold heat sheld cover bolts) started today soaking bolts a day with 3 in 1 oil, it looks like I'm going to have to totally take both manofolds off, that is the worst of it.

Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

Sorry to hear of your problem. Here's a link that may be helpful and has a push rod removal tool that is supposed to make the job somewhat easier. Good luck!

dsi1

Skip the machine oil and try PB Blaster, or Break-Free or another penetrating oil designed for the job. Not very expensive and will save a lot of grief.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I did use PB Blaster, the rain has shut me down, the "push rod removal tool" if needed I can get from a friend that has a shop, this guy tells me they remove and replace the back- Head with the manifold "attached" I can see removal but replacement is,,, well let's see.

Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

Everthing is ready to pull apart, found this on the net;

t-and-Warped-Heads

still have the 2 last back manifold sheald cover bolts (has to be done from the bottom along with the 2 main manifold/exaust pipe nuts both came off, good ole PB Blaster and a 1/2 in. drive impact with 120psi pushing.

Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

As I suspected the thermostat went out you can see the place right under the thermostat that's where the gasket failed from the high heat, resurface the heads on Mon. back on the road Tue.

Reply to
ctops.legal

I need good torque specification for the 2000 Lumina 3.1L (heads) (intake mainifolds) in foot lbs. please.

Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

The head bolts are torque angle. The intake torque depends on the gaskets you use.

Reply to
Steve Austin

FelPro = 67 foot lbs. (1st round ) 115 foot lbs (2nd round), I need to get a conformation, my manual which don't look right 2002 book, (when I broke the bolts lose the lower bolts were way less than 115, the top felt right),

Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

Does anybody have this ? "Federal-Mogul is offering the complete Fel- Pro Torque Tables guide as a free downloadable PDF file through the Fel-Pro brand?s technician-focused

Web site. Professionals also can order a printed version on the site." can't seem to find the .pdf file on there site, and yea I sent a request to them and no this is not a factory new engine it's got 100.000 miles I want the MAX torque for the heads & intake (yes all new bolts) this engine is not going to be coming apart again, Mr Austin I know what "torque angle" is I don't have a meter but own a brand new torque wrench. need some numbers guys ,, thanks.

Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

If you tighten anything on that engine to those specs, you'll distort the block and it WILL be junk. (of course the bolts will snap long before you reach 67 foot-pounds but the block will still distort)

The proper tightening of the lower intake manifold bolts is;

1st pass vertical bolts 62 INCH-pounds diagonal bolts 62 INCH-pounds 2nd pass vertical bolts 115 INCH-pounds diagonal bolts 18 FOOT-pounds

If you bought the Fel-Pro MS98003T intake gasket set, the instructions inside will give the exact correct torque spec. if you bought the MS90565 intake gasket set, you're wasting your time.

You should be using blue loc-tite on all lower intake manifold bolts if you haven't purchased new bolts from GM or Fel-Pro.

Hopefully you managed to get the head bolt torque right, it is;

44 foot-pounds and then an additional 95 degrees. The sequence was changed also, it is no longer spiraling out from the center bolts.
Reply to
aarcuda69062

Thank's the sequence was changed also ? my FelPro set is " HS 9957 PT-1" I have not opened the box yet because these parts people make mistakes so much I tryed to confirm the set's part # with FelPro could not get a hit for my part #, starting to get the feeling they gave me the wrong set :-(

Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

They gave you the right set, but they didn't give you the better set.

If you want the set with the problem solver lower intake manifold gaskets, get set number HST 9957 PT-1

You understand that you need an inch-pound torque wrench right? Those values can not be accurately done with a 3/8" drive torque wrench, you'll need a 1/4" drive torque wrench for all but the final torque on the four diagonals.

Reply to
aarcuda69062