2001 ford explorer idle

My idle on my 2001 ford explorer sport trak is....mmm not idling basically. The battery got ground down pretty good and I cnahged it, but I think the idle issue was there before hand. I changed the battery, nice and fresh, but I cant get it to run unless I press the peddle down about 1/4 way.

Do I need to reset the ECU?, how?

I ahve the battery disconnected right now.

Reply to
verzon

You've already reset the ECU.

Next step: check the ECU for error codes and maybe check for vacuum leaks.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I also am looking at this IAC article.

Reply to
verzon

Try cleaning the throttle body first. You already reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, which is likely the cause of your problem.

Reply to
Mike

No Find the vacuum leak. Don

Don

fyi, I have taken it in for the intake manifold gasket crapola some time ago. A specific error was present for it to be that. I'll get some codes read tomorrow and report back to ya'll.

Reply to
verzon

Last time I checked, intake manifold gaskets were made of some kind of rubber. Crap is a terrible materials choice; tends to dry out and become brittle.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Reply to
verzon

It is kind of important to know whether the idle issue was there before you unhooked the battery. If it was then, as others suggested, I would look for a vacuum leak and check the idle air control.

If the truck did idle before the battery was changed then I would drive it around a bit to let the computer learn how to make it idle again. It can take it a little while to re-learn. You may still have a problem that is causing the truck to not idle with a "default" data set in the computer but it should learn to idle as well as it did before until you can diagnose and repair that problem.

Also note that if you have the battery disconnected any codes that were there are most likely gone now. Hook that battery up and drive it for a while before trying to have the codes read.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

  1. Vacuum leak

  1. Throttle position sensor bad

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I would be using a multimeter to verify the battery was getting a charge. On a lot of modern vehicles, if the battery isn't getting a full charge, they won't idle right... before they won't run any more.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

ok, I did the whole battery reset thing while the engine was hot (I drove with two feet) and it is now idling.

thanks all.

I WILL return the favor.

Reply to
verzon

There's a hose in the back that likes to split.

Don

Don