2002 Corolla - bad motor mounts at 23K?

Maybe you missed this part:

AFAIK, none of those items are covered by the warranty. He's going to get the car in there, fake the motor mount issue, and charge her $400 for all this other work.

Reply to
Jimmy

I'd probably check with another dealer. He's trying to get you in an charge you $400 for all the other work that's out of warranty. Whether or not he will actually change the mounts is debatable. See what another dealer says about the problem without being prompted.

If there's no other dealer around, then go back and tell them to do the motor mounts as they suggested. See if the problem goes away. Absolutely do not agree to any other non-warranty work. I bet you get a call after you drop the car telling you that they checked and the mounts are fine - and that you need some other "out of warranty" work. No matter what they say, if it's out of warranty work, refuse. Take it elsewhere for that. Make them fix the problem you described _only_.

Reply to
Jimmy

Actually the ad was from my Chrysler dealer. Chyrsler cars are not breaking down.

Reply to
Art Begun

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ there ya go. Agree to have the motor mounts replaced at no charge, but reject ALL other work that you must pay for. Chances are the dealer will then find out (how strange!) that the motor mounts didn't need replacement after all, and that a quarter turn of a screwdriver, or some such simple adjustment, was all it took to correct the problem. and they'll likely do it quickly, since they don't wan't your "No Charge" repair cluttering up their shop when there's money to be made. It's a real shame that the automobile business, whether in sales of new cars, used cars, service or parts has become like a Persian flea market, where you'll be taken for all you are willing to give. "service" to a car dealer has come to mean the same thing as what the bull does when he "services" the cow.

Reply to
Mack Twamley

CarGuy.... follow me. Look for probabilities, not "conceivable" possibilities. While I'm not speaking directly to the lady's 2002 Corolla, the ease (book time) toreplace each engine mount is not the same. The rear engine mount (closest to the steering rack) is often much more involved than the others. To me, it's more likely an engine mount bolt was not secured at the factory which would allow gross movement.

Reply to
Philip®

Hahha. Then you don't consider Neons and Chryco mini vans as cars?

Reply to
Philip®

Some tail wind getting a Corolla up to 110 MPH. Even at that, on squishy Q/T rated tires. Hope you had enough sense to do this alone and on a test track.

Reply to
SayWhat

In news:WlQEb.1327$ snipped-for-privacy@monger.newsread.com, SayWhat being of bellicose mind posted:

Beg to differ. I've had my 2003 Corolla up against the speed governor a few times on flat ground. But at 112 (4,300 rpm in OD), the ECM starts shutting the engine down. Quite startling first time it happened!

Reply to
Philip®

I was talking about my 2002 CAMRY LE V6 and NOT the Corolla. The Camry can easily reach 110 MPH without hesitation.

Reply to
Car Guy

Actually, considering the symptoms and the fact that it's worse with the AC turned on, I'd take a real close listen to the belt tensioner. There is a TSB on them for 1999-2000 Corolla.

Reply to
MrToyTek

Good idea. Now, does that TSB include the 2002 Corolla?

Reply to
Philip®

I checked it this morning. It covers 99-00 my. I've done a few of them.

Reply to
MrToyTek

Oops. I meant 99-02 my.

Reply to
MrToyTek

How about replacing the motor mounts in my "2003 Corolla" which is what my local dealer did a few weeks ago? They were reported to be weak. This past week the ECM (whatever that is) was replaced because the car would sometimes stall when the high beam lights were turned on. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Sounds like a lemon to me if a couple more things go wrong.

conceivable that

service at

injector

inlet

cleaned, and

bottle of

Service

service

dirty" -

Reply to
Art Begun

Interesting thing is... there is no TSB for 2003 engine mounts. Speaking of lemons.... how do you keep puckered up for some many days at a time, Art?

Reply to
Philip®

The OP wasn't very clear, but to me it sounds like the motor mounts are covered under warranty, but the other repairs suggested are not covered.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez