Storing A Car for the Winter

Hello All

I've checked previous postings about long-term car storage. I've seen varying opinions about jacking the car up and putting it on stands or blocks for storage. The car, a 1995 Cutlass, will be stored for about 6 months in an unheated garage in the Midwest. Here's what I've read:

  1. Leave the car on the ground. It's better for modern suspensions to stay in contact with the ground. And modern radial tires do not develop flat spots the way previous tires used to, so again, the car can be left on the ground. Leaving the car on the ground eliminates the chance of rust on the shock absorber rods which become exposed when the car is off the ground.

  1. Jack it up, but only just high enough until the tires first lose contact with the floor.

  2. Jack it up and put jackstands under the suspension to get all 4 wheels off the ground. The springs/suspension will have a chance to "recover" in this position resulting in a better ride.

Which one of the above applies to a 1995 GM vehicle?

Other stuff that was recommended:

  1. Park the car over a sheet of plastic to keep moisture from coming up through the concrete
  2. Add Stabil to the gas, and depending on the person you ask, either leave the tank empty or fill it
  3. Seal the exhaust and air intakes with plastic to keep moisture and critters out
  4. Place bars of soap in fabric bags in the trunk, cabin, and engine compartment to keep critters away. One person said you can use mothballs, but will be smelling them for some time after the car is back in service.
  5. Change the oil before storing, Change it again when the car is put back into use.
  6. Put newspapers in fabric bags and put them in trunk, cabin and around to absorb moisture.

I'd most like your thoughts on storing the car on the ground or on stands, but any advice on car storage is appreciated.

Reply to
KC

I agree. Also, make sure the park brake is OFF or you may find it stuck on in the spring. Just ask how I found that out.

Shouldn't hurt. Used oil can be mildly acidic.

Never mind.

Modern tires don't flat spot. As long as you're sure you don't have any slow leakers, leave them on the ground.

Reply to
John Ings

stabilizer is not needed !

Reply to