2002 Jetta Diesel starting problem

Colder mornings the glowplug light comes on only for couple seconds and lots of cranking to start, lots of smoke due unburned fuel. Rest of day it is warmer & starts OK. Replaced coolant temp sensor thing that it sent the engine temp but no change. If I turn key on/off six times alowing glowplug warmup each time start is OK. Any suggestion where I could go next by myself? (not to a repair shop)

Reply to
Jesse

If glow plugs aren't the problem, then check glow control unit or connections to the temp sensor.

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis