Diesel Starting Problem

Hi

I have a Citroen Synergie 1999 1.9TD (60k miles) which isn't too relevant because it has a Peugeot engine which is fitted in lots of cars!

Anyway, when I start it from cold the glow plug indicator lights up and goes out after about six seconds, if I try to start the car it just turns over. If I heat the glow plugs about 4 times, it is fine and will start (with some white/grey smoke, not much)

If I run it for about 2 minutes, turn the engine off, it starts fine and will be fine for the rest of the day.

Now, you instantly think it is the glow plugs, well....we had this problem last winter and had the glow plugs replaced and it seemed ok, but since it was getting warm, it wasn't really a problem over the summer, again the problem recurred and took the car to my mechanic, who charged me £35 for him to diagnose the problem with the computer so that he could fix it!!! He said two of the plugs had failed, strange, since they were just over 12 months old, oh well got them replaced and got the car back and it was fine and then after just a few days the problem is recurring.

I have fitted a new battery as the currently fitted battery was 400 amps (but healthy), the new one is 700 amps.

Is the problem could be to do with the glow plug relay burning the plugs out, as it is faulty. Or could this also have been because the battery was the wrong one?

Help!! PS. I have learnt alot about diesels!

Reply to
Rich

One or more of the glow plugs has failed again. Get proper ones installed (not cheapo ones)

Reply to
MrCheerful

As Mr.Cheerful says, if you used el cheapo glowies, they can fail very quickly. Some diesels use the glowplugs during cold running to keep things smooth (quite a few indirect injection donks now that I think about it) and this kills the cheap ones.

Reply to
DervMan

As the other poster have said, probably dodgy plugs. However you should check to see how long they stay on after starting, (when cold). They should only stay on for about 30 seconds on full voltage. Check again after the engine heats up, they should go off almost immediately. If not, then either the relay is sticking or the temperature sensor is faulty.

John

Reply to
John

Neither the glow plug relay, or the use of an undersized battery will have been able to damage your glow plugs.

As others have said, you need originals fitted.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan