3.1 noisy, shiden kai ?

I am just done changing the oil in my Century 2002.

While leaning under the car to check for leaks I noticed a strange noise coming from the crankcase, like a grinding noise, or better, like a worn ballbearing, maybe like a noisy gear train ....kind of hard to describe ;-) its not a knock or something sugesting any kind of impact .

I'm suspecting the oil pump , however the pressure seems ok and no other problem noted. My question is, are the 3.1 are normally noisy at the bottom end ? That noise cannot be heard from the top, only when you are nearby the crankcase, but then its pretty obvious.

Shiden, can they do that job without taking half of the engine apart ? on average, how much time ?

Thanks and sorry for my Frenglish !!

Rick

Reply to
Rick

"Rick" wrote

Hmmmm.....an excellent reason why you shouldn't listen too closely to the engine oil pan area while the engine is running. It's probably normal...you just haven't had your head under there until now.

I don't recall any abormal noise problems on these engines, but then again, a lot of engine noise that might seem wierd or alarming to the average person would seem quite normal to me.

It's just a matter of pulling the pan off. On your vehicle, I believe the subframe has to come down in order to get the pan off. Probably best to take it in to a dealership (if you are expecting warranty) and let them have a listen to it.

Hey, at least you can speak and understand English...I'd be lost if I had to speak and/or understand French. Not much French speaking going on out here in Alberta....though I do enjoy trying to read the French labels on everything... it's always interesting trying to figure out what French word corresponds to the English word.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian , thanks for your reply, I will have the dealership to listen to it, the noise is too obvious. My other car (montana) doesnt make that noise at all and it is basically the same engine if I'm not mistaken.

You're in Alberta !!! I have a few friends freezing in Edmonton ;-)

Thanks for your input

Reply to
Rick

Probably piston slap (which is common and usually harmless for the 2.8 and

3.1).

The 3.1 in my '90 grand prix has done it since I bought it at 64,000 miles. It now has over 200,000 and it still does it.

Reply to
Clem

Clem, thanks for your suggestion but no its not piston slap

Reply to
Rick