Noisy Chev. 3.1 litre motor

I own a 2001 Chev. Lumina with a 3.1 V-6 that has about 65,000 miles on it. The motor is quite noisy when it is cold. More of a dull tapping sound than a click. I do not like to drive it until it has warmed up some. It quiets down after reaching full temperature. The motor has always been "chattery", but it is getting worse. I am not familiar with the engines internals--lifters, valve train, etc. I have been told the motor is of bad design. Motor oil brands or types do not make a difference. I am reluctant to use additives. I take good care of the car and want to keep it. I would like to hear an opinion if someone has experience with this motor.

Thank you,

Scott

Reply to
scseaquist

I have never heard one of these engines that did *not* sound just as you describe. In fact, it's a very distinctive rattly bucket-of-bolts sound; I could always tell if a car with a 2.8 or 3.1 was nearby without even looking.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Probably piston slap due to excess clearance between the pistons and the cylinders. As long as it is not using excess oil it really hurts nothing except the resale value of the car.

I own a '99 Olds 3400 owner with the same issue. On the other hand, this car gets surprisingly good fuel economy, which may in part be due to this problem.

Lee Richardson

Reply to
Lee Richardson

I can't say for sure you don't have something wrong, but the wife's 3.1 has always sounded like that, and it's 18 years old and 140,000 miles on it. Original internals. Every 2.8/3.1 I've heard is noisy but they seem to last a long time.

Ray

Reply to
ray