3000 rpm stall speed converter on the street?

Looking at a big block Camaro. How annoying or livable would a 3000 stall speed converter be? Rear end is 3:23 (I suspect higher would be better because it would keep the revs up, so not sure how much slippage there would be at 35mph and low rpm's). I know gas mileage would not be good, but looking for something with with a little cruise night attitude.

Reply to
M.Burns

Very annoying and not livable. You want a lower rear to keep your revs up. The higher the number, the lower the rear. I know, that's f'd up. A 3:73 is a very nice cruise/torque gear for a stock or a little above stock engine.

Reply to
idbwill

A 3000 converter can be built "tight" or "loose", a tight 3000 would stall at 3000 at full power input but would slip less at normal cruise rpm's while a loose 3000 would stall about the same at full power but would slip more at lower rpm's.

You'll be lucky to get what you want from an off-the-shelf converter, better to contact a good manufacturer and give them your specs and desires.

Reply to
John Kunkel