idle rpm changing all the time

I have a 4 cyl. Camry 2.2 form '98.

Is use two different fuels. Normaly I use what we call LPG (mixture of propane and buthane). In that case the idle rpm is stable at around 800 rpm.

However when I switch to gasoline, the idle rpm is not stable anymore (in the past it was OK). It varies between 400-800 rpm and is changing with a frequency of around

0.5 - 1 Hz. The motor just stays running, but is close to stopping.

When I use my right foot to push down the gas a little, it's stable at around 1000 rpm.

So I could adjust Idle speed a little to the +, but then the idle rpm on LPG will be too high

Anyone any idea of what to look for?

Reply to
jan siepelstad

How do you use Propane and Buthane, so you have a heavy, several hundred pound tank somewhere, and a special hook up. I never heard of that in a camry as it is too heavy, only in trucks.

Reply to
m Ransley

I've never messed with an engine that has a throttle body/injection system and LP, but this setup with a carb used a plate/LP control under the carb to shut it off and dispense the LP gas. When in the gasoline mode, the throttle body is subject to the same problems as it would be without LP, which is dirt and oil residue in the idle air valve. I'd say you just need to clean the throttle body and if that doesn't solve it then you may have an injector problem. It's also possible it's due for a basic tune-up, plugs, wires, filters and etc. IIRC, LP has a lower flash point than gasoline so it would ignite with a weak ignition system where gasoline wouldn't. HTH, Dave

Reply to
davidj92

Yes gas conversions are quite common/popular here in Australia. Takes up a fair bit of room in the boot, but the weight is no big deal. They look like a big barbeque cylinder.

Reply to
jg

Just to be clear:

My tank doesn't weigh several hundred pounds, but maybe 25 -30 kg. contents

60 liters. To show you why: gasoline cost here in Holland is approx. ? 1,40/litre. LPG costs around ? 0,48/litre. Because of the heating value of LPG you need about 15% more litres. The plate under the carb where you are talking about is a little old fashioned. We use injection systems nowadays. So injection of fluid Propane/buthane through injector's controlled by electronics and using the same lambda (O2) sensor as the gasoline system does.

So cleaning throttle body, sparkplugs (I just have got new one's, new filtres etc.). new cables etc. is al irrelevant, because they work fine when using the LPG fuel!

Best regards,

Jan.

Reply to
jan siepelstad

How many kilometers / miles again on the vehicle?

Throttle plate is the plate just upstream of the air intake hose; it has nothing to do with a carburetor. It gets stuck sometimes... clean with throttle plate cleaner solvents.

If it's high mileage, try looking into cleaning the idle air control valve and fuel filter. As someone mentioned, it might be a good idea to look into the spark plug wires and distributor system too, especially if you have >200,000 km on the vehicle and never changed the wires/distributor... does it get very cold in your area? Oh, and how's your EGR filter looking? Any burn marks? (It's the filter inside the EGR modulator)

Reply to
mrdarrett

I drove 365.000 km.

Why should it be stuck when I drive on gasoline and not when I drive on LPG?

I never changed wires / distributor, bur again, why would it be bad an gasoline idle and be ok at higher revs and also ok at LPG at all rpm's?

In our area the mean winter temp. is around + 5 °C. However, sometimes at can be minus 15°C. I never have starting problems at low temps.

See my questions and remarks in between your text.

Best regards,

Jan

Reply to
jan siepelstad