02 TDI Idle speed

what do your 02 Jetta TDI;s (5spd) idle at when warm?

mine is idling at roughly 950 rpm.. and it seems a bit high..

am i being paranoid?

Mike

Reply to
michael

That's about what my '04 idles at, if the tach is correct. I suspect that is normal idle speed.

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid

Get a VAG-COM setup and you can adjust it and other things.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I went to check what the manual said and I could not find the specs for idle. I went out to my garage and checked to see where mine (02 NB TDI) idled and it was real close to 950.

Why do you think there may be a problem?

I might suggest that, in general, I believe that most automotive diesels will idle a little faster than most truck diesels or older (like 60-70's) automotive diesels.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It's a 4cylinder diesel and it's normal.

Reply to
Woodchuck

thanks to all

i guess i was paranoid comparing that to my BMW that idled at a whopping

500rpm when warm....

cheers

Mike

Reply to
michael

I also have a non-turbo 1890cc Golf diesel, and it idles at 903 revs That is normal says dealer, neither more nor less. He said that they are all dead accurate when hooked up to the dealers big computer.

I don't like it so high, for I tow caravans and m'cycle trailers and would be very happy with about 800 rev/min. Would VAG-COM help? How do I get it?

I suspect that the engine man sys would not like it. The Bosch Manual with the electronic controls for the diesel squirt, sets the fuel injection at zero when on over-run atmore than 1100 revs so engine braking on long descents is OK. Still I would love 800 revs.

-- Derek Wealleans snipped-for-privacy@clara.dot.co.uk Remember:- remove the anti spam

Reply to
Derek Wealleans

makes and markets the product. It's a adapter that hooks to a pc's, laptop prefered, USB port and to your car's ODBII connector and a special program. It's as good and possibly better then the dealer's setup. Problem is the newer cars VW's have a security thing that requires a special number that's only good for that day or something like that. But once you get a dealer to get you a number the vag-com will continually use that number. As far as setting the idel to 800, the computer has limits and will not let you go past them. When I messed with mine as I recall it was something like 50 rpm more or less. Try
for lots of good info.

Reply to
Jo Bo