4-2 downshift question

I've seen more than once somebody do a 4-2 downshift by moving the lever from 4-3-2 while the clutch is pressed down. Is this to save wear on the 2nd gear synchro? Or does it make no difference and only slows you down?

Reply to
alan

Speeds up the clutch disk and input shaft in increments and thereby saves some wear on the 2nd gear synchro.

Whether it actually saves any wear or not, can't really say.

97T
Reply to
97T

It really isn't necessary on modern transmissions that are in reasonable condition with good synchro's. I would also find it hard to believe that it would cause any significant extra unnecessary wear on the 3 synchro.

You may also see folks downshift from 4-2 by first shifting from 4 to neutral, let the clutch out, up the engine revs to more or less where they will be in 2, then push in clutch and actually move the shift lever to 2. Not necessary any more either on street cars, but was fairly common on old sports cars due to either weak or non-existent synchros.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I usually do it on my celica. Its a 6 speed, and really a pain in the ass to downshift from 6th to 2nd or first if coming to a complete stop.... and i just take it outta the gear i am in (say 6th) then go to 4th then down to 2nd. Never gave it any thought on wear.... I mean I don't force it into gear either... just give it enuff pressure so it goes in smooth....

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear