Surprising Story about tire pressure.

Hi, I have 185 x 70 x 13 Goodyear Wingfoots on my chevy vega.

I Increased the tire pressure up to 35 PSI and ended up making the tire more short-- and lost fuel economy.

So I reduced it to 30 PSI and now the tire balloons out correctly at 70 mph. Put another way, the tire gets taller on the freeway.

This is the first time I've ever had to *reduce* the airpressure to get the proper performance. These tires have a soft sidewall. Has anyone had simular results as mine?

Reply to
george pearl

More short? What do you mean? What were your mileage figures?

Balloons out. Cool. You've increased deformation. Where does the energy come for this ballooning out?

I doubt it.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Nope.

Reply to
Paºul <pyßats@texxxas.net>

I very much doubt that. What's "more short" anyway?

How on earth could you possibly say that without taking high res photos of both tyres from another vehicle and measuring them? What you really mean is you've leapt to this assumption as a way of explaining things.

No.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

"How's life Norm?" "Not for the squeamish, Coach" (Cheers, 1982)

Reply to
Dave Baker

I understand what he's trying to say as a theory, but still don't believe it. Those who have used tire bands to inflate tires know that the tire gets 'taller' when you put more air in it, not the other way around. He's suggesting that road speed is deforming the tire out more when #5 less air is in it. Would that work with #10 less, #20 less? Of course not. How scientific was his test? Was it repeated on the same roads? What was the air temperature? That changes tire pressure. Will the last remaining Vega owner turn off the air pump please.

Reply to
Tomcat14