5 psi, 25 oz fuel/minute fuel injection problem

I have a 2.8 liter fuel injected (throttle body?) 1996 Olds Cutlass ciera that cranks, catches for a few seconds, quits. A fuel pressure gauge shows about 5 psi, fuel pump delivers about 24 ounces of gasoline per minute. Pump was replaced about 30,000 ago, fuel filter done very recently. What do I do next?

Reply to
westwindwood2003

Pull the codes off the computer and see what it's saying when it shuts the thing down.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

5psi is too low, assuming your gauge is correct you probably have another bad pump on your hands or a failed fuel pressure regulator.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

I found a Chilton manual on fuel injection and ignition for 1984 to

1988, which said to pinch the return line to the fuel tank, and the pressure guage should read 75psi. Well, still reads 5 psi. When I press the valve on the side of the pressure guage to relieve the pressure, the flow is certainly not in the 25 to 45 psi range. Although, to be safe, I suppose I should try the guage out on a car that is running to see if the guage is accurate. One thing that is odd is when I relieve the pressure with the button on the side of the pressure guage, a good 3 ounces flows into the can and that seem odd for such a low pressure. If there is an accumulator, I would think it would not work at low pressure.
Reply to
westwindwood2003

Your fuel pump is not good.

If blocking the return line does not at least _change_ the pressure, it means the incoming pressure is below the level the regulator is set to.

Fit the gauge to a tire fitting, and connect it to a tire that has a known air pressure inside. Does it read anything close to correct?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

OK, just went and put the gauge on a tire and it read 32 psi. On this car the gas tank has to come out to replace the pump. I once had a mechanic tell me that getting gasoline on a light bulb can break the bulb from the cold of the gas evaporating and start a fire while pulling a fuel tank. Will do the job outside with no light bulb.

Reply to
westwindwood2003