'88 Voyager Won't Downshift

I just had my transmission serviced... the reverse band was replaced, governor was cleaned, torque converter flushed, cooler replaced, basically fully rebuilt. When I got my van back however it won't downshift to 1st gear when coming to a stop. It will however downshift when I put the gas to the floor and I can put it in first by simply shifting it there myself. Any ideas of what could be the problem?

Thanks

Jas

Reply to
Jason Cluett

A flush and the replacement of the low/reverse band does *not* constitute a full rebuild.

Who did this work (where did you take the van)? Why was this specific work done (symptoms that led you to take it in)?

Governor malfunction, valve body malfunction, linkage maladjustment, kickdown band or servo maladjustment. Whoever worked on your transmission didn't do a complete job.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

What exactly is the difference between a rebuild and low/reverse- kickdown band replacement? It is this last operation very complicated, what exactly means.

Thanks, Cristian

Reply to
Christian

Well, it's pretty simple, really: Low/reverse band replacement entails the replacement of *one* component -- the low/reverse band. Rebuild entails the complete disassembly of the transmission, thorough manual cleaning and checking of all parts subject to wear, and replacement of *all* consumable and worn parts.

There is no "low/reverse-kickdown band"; they are two separate parts -- the low/reverse band and the kickdown band.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I understand that just having the low/reverse band replaced isn't a rebuild. It wasn't the only thing replaced. I was told that all parts worn or damaged were replaced. With that being said I didn't see the work personally done, nor do I have the expertise to tell you the names of the parts replaced. (Which doesn't help with diagnosis, I know)

My shift cable, throttle linkage, and kickdown band adjustments are all correct. I checked those myself. However, it did do something interesting last night. Including not kicking down when coming to a stop (I agree with you about the governor theory), it won't come out of first gear when it's cold! It will stay in first gear until it warms up and the temp hand reaches just past the "c" on the dash, after which it will go into second and third.

Thanks for your patience with my vague details...

Reply to
Jason Cluett

This is different from what you first said, which was that the governor was cleaned and the low/reverse band was replaced.

You also write:

This *and* your original symptoms suggest a sticking governor, usually caused on this transmission by flaking of the differential bearing faces. The fluid routing is such that flakes and frass from the differential bearings get between the governor weights and housing and jam the governor.

That is why I think a halfassed job was done on this transmission "almost kinda sorta pretty much" rebuild.

Still waiting for answers to these questions:

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

In which situation you think this work should be done? How could I know if my transm need to be re-build or replaced? There is any way to test this? e.g. trying to tow something, stalling in a ramp and see if transm is sliding... What others test do you suggest?

I still realy don't know if the tranms on my 89 Voyager 2.5 turbo, 3 speed is still in good shape or not.

Thank you, Chris

Reply to
Christian

Sorry for not being clearer before about what was done. The low/reverse band and the governor were not the only things done... but being just a transmission dummy, I thought they were the only appropriate things to mention... my bad.

I appreciate your advice about the governor... sounds like a very plausable explaination... and it makes a lot of sense thinking about some of the transmission manuals i've been reading today.

I agree the the job was botched. That will be the last time that particular mechanic touches my transmission. To answer your other questions, the person who did the work was a chrysler mechanic in my area and i'd rather not use his name... not polite. I did get my money back however... without hassle I might add. (for the labour... I still paid for the seals, filter, etc.)

The original reason I brought the van in was the same symptoms I'm having now (stick in first when cold and no kickdown on deceleration) plus loss of reverse. My reverse is back, but the other problems persist.

Here is my question, do you think I should try to get the governor cleaned (I won't say again... he said he cleaned it, but now i'm not sure.. i'd say not) or is that a lost cause and I should get it replaced (which wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it'd be quicker and a sure bet).

Thanks A Lot

Jason C.

Reply to
Jason Cluett

Didn't need his name, just wondered if you took it in to SCAAMCO or somesuch.

Good...

What you need is proper diagnosis. There is a wide range of possibilities for the cause of your problems. The fix may be a repair, or a complete transmission teardown and rebuild. If it *is* differential bearing flakes clogging your governor, cleaning it won't fix the problem because new flakes will replace the ones cleaned out.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern