89 Park Avenue code 26

I have a 1989 Park Avenue with a 3.8 V 6. After driving the car for a few blocks the service engine light will come on. The light will stay on for about 3 minutes and then go out. After a couple of more minutes it comes back on again and continues doing this as long as the car is being driven The only code that is stored is code 26 which according to my manual is the quad driver circuit. I switched computers and still have the same problem. Has anyone had a similar experience and could tell me which sensor or component to suspect that could be the problem? I'm willing to take a chance in replacing something hoping to get lucky but not sure where to start. I should also add that the car runs fine and has about 150,000 miles Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis

Reply to
Dennis B.

David J and Lynne J Shepherd

Typically this means that there is some kind of short in a circuit that the ECM controls, or that the ECM itself is bad. This could be all kinds of things: EGR control solenoids, TCC solenoid, canister purge solenoid, etc.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

If it helps, on that vehicle the Quad Drivers are used as follows:

QD #1 Canister Purge Solenoid - DK/YEL 428 Low Speed Fan Relay - DK GRN 535

QD #2 High Speed Fan Relay - LT GRN/BLK 536 A/C Relay - LT GRN/BLK 336

QD #3 Hot Lamp - DK GRN 35 TCC Solenoid - TAN/BLK 422

QD #4 EGR 1 - BLU 697 EGR 2 - RED 699 EGR 3 - BRN 698

Reply to
saeengineer

which/driver

Or vice versa.

Reply to
saeengineer

Turned out to be the egr valve. I checked the voltages in the three wires and the brown wire was dead. I tapped on the three solenoids and the voltage jumped to 12 volts. It must be sticking so I'm going to replace it. Thanks for taking the time to help

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis B.