Code 26?

I got a "Service Engine Soon" on my dash on a '95 SL2. Codes (#26) say it is a Quad-Driver module associated with the ECM. What exactly is this? I do know that the last battery replacement occurred when it sounded like a relay chattering between the front seats in the car. Should I just erase and proceed?

BP~

Reply to
B. Peg

Could be a problem with the ECM, but more likely it's a problem (such as an internal short) with one of the devices that the quad-driver controls. The EGR vacuum solenoid and EVAP canister purge solenoid seem to be common causes.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Hi Bob, I had this problem on my 92 SL2. I found the help here, and am returning the favor. Is the light intermittent? If so, when does it come on? If it comes on only when the engine is above about 2000 RPM, you likely have a bad EGR solenoid (not the valve, the solenoid that controls it). If the light comes on at idle, you likely have a bad cannister purge solenoid. Each of these solenoids cost about $30.00, and they are dealer parts. By the way, "Quad Driver output" merely means that there is no voltage sensed at a place (one of four possible locations) that there should be voltage. There isn't a "quad driver" you can replace. Hope it helps.

rs

Reply to
rslakey

Thanks. Yes, the light is intermittent. It seems to go out once underway so I'm guessing the canister purge solenoid. Exactly where is this part located? I didn't spot a canister under the hood of the Dual OHC engine on initial check.

I did reclean and checked the EGR for free plunger movement. All seemed well. So hoping it's the cannister purge solenoid.

BP~

Reply to
B. Peg

On a '97, at least, the canister purge solenoid is below the intake manifold on the side of the block, towards the rear of the block. The EVAP canister itself is at the back near the fuel tank.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

I don't know what kind of Saturn you have, but my canister is in the front right fender forward the wheel.

James

Reply to
James1549

It's in the back on a '97, it may have changed at some point before that..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

egr solenoid and fuel can purge solenoid should be replaced as a set since they have close to the same lifespan. while you're at it, change the coolant temp sensor if you haven't already. the egr vacuum solenoid is right next to the egr valve. the can purge solenoid is on the rear of the engine block at about the centerline of the car. the easiest way to find it is by tracing the two rubber hoses that lead to it from the fiewall. i believe the saturn engineers put back there so if you know where it is, it's not hard to replace, but to find it is not easy. good luck. jeff

Reply to
jeff may