91 Explorer A/C parts, what's the difference between parts marked "From 4/91" and "To 4/91"?

All the A/C parts for the 91 Explorer, like hoses, blower motor, etc call out two different part numbers. One is marked "To 4/91" and another "From 4/91". Was there some kind of significant change at April 1991?

I'm kind of puzzled what to do because my A/C compressor, dryer, etc are replacements installed in 2001, so which parts do I use? I have a leaking compressor hose that needs to be replaced but don't know which part to buy.

Reply to
runderwo

This changes MIGHT correspond to the transition from R12 to R134a. Im not sure, but the early 90's is about when this happened.

What refrigerant do you actually use?

Very often you can find a parts number or designator on these hoses. That might help you. You could also measure the hose, and sketch out the shape and see if a local parts house or dealer will let you take a look at the selection of hoses.

Since your Explorer WAS cooling at some time, I would rather replace the hose with what is already in it than juggle with what might have been the parts recommendation at some time.

Reply to
hls

Was it converted to R134 when the compressor was replaced, or are you still running an R12 system? If its still R12, then you need to find out when your truck was built (before or after 4/91) to get the right part. If it was converted, all bets are off.

The easiest way is to take off the old hose & take it with you to match up with the dealer's stock (or parts book) to get the right one.

If it doesn't match anything, you can always take it to an A/C shop and have a new one made.

Reply to
E. Meyer

You'll have to get the part # off of the compressor to determine which one you have..

The only difference I see in the compressor is my catalog is asking if it's factory or dealer air.

As for your drier their is a difference so you'll probably have to do a visual to determine which one you have..

Four Seasons part #'s are FOUR SEASONS 33053 [A/C Accumulator] From 3/91 FOUR SEASONS 33182 [A/C Accumulator] Before 3/91

You can go to their website

and look at them to see which one you have.

the hose assemblies are most likely different too.

FOUR SEASONS 56116 [A/C Refrigerant Hose] Discharge and Suction Line; From 4/91 FOUR SEASONS 55600 [A/C Refrigerant Hose] Liquid Line w/o Orifice Tube FOUR SEASONS 55651 [A/C Refrigerant Hose] Discharge and Suction Line; Before 4/91

Reply to
m6onz5a

Thanks everyone who replied. I think I have at least the hose issue figured out. It looks like that they changed the hose routing at that time. My truck (built in 1/91) routes the suction hose around the back of the intake, but the other hose used from late 91 to 93 routes around the top/front. So I guess this doesn't depend on the A/C parts as much as the engine itself.

What's in the truck currently is a FS10 compressor marked "R-12 or R-134a", an accumulator marked XH-7, and hoses marked "Barrier Hose". So the conversion was complete/professional.

I was confident enough to order a new "To 4/91" hose based on the above. If I am wrong, I'll be back!

How have people fared with having A/C hoses rebuilt at a shop? I might do that next time if it's economical and as reliable as OEM stuff.

Reply to
runderwo

I converted my 1978 VW Rabbit to R-134a around 1995 and had new rubber hoses installed over the original metal fittings by the oldest auto A/ C shop in town, the one every garage recommended. I never had to add more refrigerant during the next 5-6 years I kept the car. I made the conversion after the original York compressor seized for the 3rd time in 6 months. I changed everything except the original evaporator and TXV and replaced the original round tube serpentine condenser with a flat tube universal fit condenser from J.C. Whitney since summers would regularly reach 115F. I don't think Ford uses TXVs, so at least lower the evaporator cycling switch pressure to trigger at 22-23 PSI rather than the normal 25 PSI for R-12 or else the air will never blow out cooler than 50-55F. I'd also replace the orfice tube with one calibrated for R-134a, and if you live where summers reach 100F, upgrade the condenser as well, especially with any vehicle having a large passenger compartment. The Ford FS10 compressor isn't a good candidate for R-134a, and Ford switched to another model (FX-12 or FX-15 was the model) when they started installing R-134a at the factory.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

I've never done that. I've always been able to get hoses that were made for the application, not wanting to have to wrestle with cobbled up hoses.

Reply to
hls

Yeah, I'm doing this and I'm going to get a hose made adding a high side cutoff switch as well.

I might try out one of those "smart" variable orifice valves. 20 bucks or so.

I think you have that backwards. The FX15 was the original "black death" compressor that came with the R-12 systems and failed in a way that basically destroyed the whole system. The FS10 I have is clearly marked "for use with R-12 and R-134a".

Reply to
runderwo