A/C Compressor for '90 Sundance ... need info

If there are any A/C pros out there who are familiar with Chrysler products who could give me some help here, I'd sure appreciate it. I posted the other day about problems I was having with the A/C on my 1990 Plymouth Sundance, thought at first it was a coolant leak, turns out the compressor needs replacing.

I posted that I had a compressor in hand that I'd purchased from a recycler last year, with a warranty, that I was going to get my mechanic to install. However, when I took it to my mechanic, he told me that it would not work, that the mounting brackets and hose connections (especially those) were off from where they needed to be to fit my car. Let me backtrack, this compressor was not from a Plymouth Sundance, it was from another Chrysler car that was "supposed be interchangeable and work" with the Sundance, but as I said it wouldn't.

I don't want to buy a new compressor for this "running around town" car, I'm looking to get another recycled one. And I'm willing to spend a reasonable price to get one. The thing is, I'm now leery of ordering another one sight unseen, because I've followed up on a couple of responses I got from submitting online parts searches but when I talked to the folks, it turned out that again, these weren't off an actual Sundance, they were off other Chrysler products but were "supposed to work." One recycler did list three different A/C compressors for a '90 Sundance on his site, had all three in stock that actually came off Sundances, and told me that the one I needed to get depended on my car's VIN and mine was a "D."

Can someone give me some guidance here? Are the A/C units actually that VIN specific? I checked for new compressors at AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilly, etc., and they all listed just one part number for a compressor and clutch unit for a '90 Sundance, didn't say anything about the VIN.

And are there some units from other Chrysler cars that will actually interchange with a '90 Sundance? Will a unit from an '88, '89 or '91 Sundance work? I've looked online and can't find anything with the actual Chrysler parts numbers so that I can cross-check.

Are there any kind of adapter kits, etc., that could be used to make one fit that's a little bit off?

My mechanic is ready and waiting to install a new compressor and clutch on this car, all I have to do is provide him with one that will work.

Again, I would appreciate any specific guidance here. Thanks!

Reply to
Greg Bailey