Windows, Distributors, A/C, Etc.

Hello hello. I'm still kicking around in my recently aquired '74 cal-style Std Beetle. It's running great and all I've done is change the oil and fiddle with the interior. There's a few things that still need some work however...

For one, the car has one-piece windows installed...poorly. I'm pretty sure they didn't replace the regulator, as the windows feel very "tippy" in the fore/aft direction. Also need new channels, better rubber, etc. I'm thinking about just getting a power window kit. Do the regulators that come with those work with a one-piece window?

The car has a 009 distributor and 34 PICT 3 carb. Runs okay, but I think it would run better with a better distributor. My roommate has a '76 Van w/ type IV engine in the garage that I plan on converting to upright cooling. Could it's distributor be used in the beetle's 1600 engine, and would it be better than a 009?

It has what looks like an original add-on A/C system that is almost functional. Needs a new condensor fan, and I'd like to convert it to R-134a. However it looks like they didn't get the compressor mounted correctly after an engine swap. The engine lid won't close completely, the pulley doesn't like up with the crank, etc. I'm thinking that converting to a serpentine belt would be the best way to get it hooked up. Ideas?

Also, I'd like to integrate the windshield defrosters into the A/C system. It looks like I can just plumb the hoses from the under-dash blower to defrosters? The dash has been redone and there's no fresh-air provisions, so it's kind of a non-stock setup.

Oh, and mirrors. The car's original mirror mounts were smoothed over. I'd like to put mirrors on the hinges, but I'm not sure what parts are required to do this.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll think of more but this should do it for a while.

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

Anyone?

Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

"Harry Smith" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Congrats on your ACVW! From what I've heared about one piece windows there are some con's and pro's Please do read them carefully.

The mirrors on the hinge pin is used on earlier bugs (pre '68?) I'm not sure if they'll fit the newer bugs tho.. You will need a hinge pin with the threath on top and replace the old ones with them. However, getting the old ones out is a real pain. :( I'm sure that if you google around you will come across some intresting threats

Good luck, Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Good reading, thanks. I really just need to take it apart and see what it looks like.

But it is possible to use the older hinge pin in a newer door? They didn't change in some way? That being the case I'll just order the pins and check it out.

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

Ya by the reading of the article bug 59 sent you you have figured out the the power windows ( MOST OF THEM ) use the existing regulators like you said you need to take a look at them I have them in my "57" Oval but they're not loose at all but the regulators came out of a "68" the glass should be tight when I say tight I mean TIGHT it took alot of soapy water and working to get them in the saddle and I never had any problems out of them for 10 years now I have torn it down again for another restoration and fixing some of the stuff that I couldn't back in "87" doing her right this time..

Distributor well if it is the Water cooled one I don't know much about them I have never owned one as for the distributor why would you replace? Worn out cams, or going pointless? or just worn out?

A/C I have never owned one with A/C it seams to do more harm than it worth so I have never wanted one with A/C. I have seen them but I have always seen them disconnected ( Belt Off ) the little engine just can't handle that much drag for out on the highway great once you get going turn her on and cool down but around town NG.

Defrost if I'm right the A/C unit is under the dash to make the connection to the defrost you will have to hole saw under the dash and run a conection a T to the defrost tubes coming up from the heater channels inside the trunk but how would you turn the A/C unit from panel blowing out to redirect the flow to the defrost interesting concept.

Mirrors well like Bug59 said they 're a pain to pull the pin but it can be done. I can't remember but I thought there use to be an after market hinge pin that was threaded for the newer bugs you just had to pull your old pin and replace it with this one. But once again I have never owned an late model VW only pre "58"s

htchtchtchtchtchtchtchtchtchtchtchtchtchtchtchtchtchtc

Hot Totty's Creations

1957 Oval Type 1 1955 Ford F-1 Truck 1961 Sunbeam Alpine 1968 Ford F-100 Truck 1989 5.0 Mustang LX 1997 Ford F-150 Truck 2003 Ford F-250 Crew 4X4

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net/>> Congrats on your ACVW!

Reply to
Duane Totty