'91 Sunbird hesitating for 3 years, recently getting worse

I'm the proud owner of a '91 Pontiac Sunbird convertible, which I bought in '93 and have generally maintained myself with a few exceptions. 120k miles, 4 cylinder (not EFI).

About 3 years ago, I noticed that the car would hesitate when I first started it, more often than not when it was cold and rainy outside (but occassionally, it would hesitate when it was warm and sunny). It never stalled, it would just hesitate when I tried to take off.

By "hesitate," I mean that I would be pressing the gas, but for about half a second it was as if no gas were getting to the carburetor. This only happened when I tried to take off right after start-up, though; once the car warmed up, no more problem.

Since the car never actually died, I didn't give it a lot of thought. Now, it's 3 years later, and the problem has gotten a little worse.

In the last few months, the hesitation at start-up is a little more noticeable. Instead of hesitating for a half-second, it usually goes for a few seconds. Now, it also happens when I take off from a stop, too, regardless of the temp of the engine.

When I'm accelerating, I can usually feel the engine hesitating for microseconds at a time. This isn't horribly noticeable, but you can feel it if you think about it. Usually, the passenger doesn't notice it.

And the last symptom is that the check-engine light comes on every once in awhile, but this may be related to a separate brake problem (a seal is leaking in the rear brakes).

Over the years, I've replaced pretty much everything I can think of that would be related to this problem, with no impact. I've replaced the following:

  1. spark plugs and wires (not the distributor)
  2. PCV valve
  3. fuel filter
  4. air filter
  5. fuel injector (not EFI, just the single sprayer)
  6. timing belt

The first 4 are replaced regularly during a regular tune-up that I do myself. The fuel injector really needed to be replaced since the spray was pretty erratic, but I really thought that would solve the problem. The timing belt was replaced by a mechanic that knew "for a fact" that it would solve the problem...

I'm really doubting that the fuel pump is the problem, since it's been progressive over such a long time, but I really can't think of anything else that would have these symptoms. I've only replaced a fuel pump in

2 cars (both foreign cars with a hatch in the back seat), but in both cases they pretty much went out without a warning.

Can anyone think of anything else that would cause these symptoms over a 3-year period? How do you perform a diagnostic test on a Sunbird?

Thanks, all,

Jason

Reply to
Jason

What about your TPS throttle position sensor. If it is worn the computer won't respond to the opening throttle. Or check your Map sensor vacuum hose to see it is not brittle and has holes in it. And also check for vacuum leaks around throttle body or rubber hoses and such.

Reply to
edmechanic

"Jason" wrote in news:1125033441.801427.24800 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

chase down the cause of ur MIL first (it aint the the brake leak but i would fix that soon before hesitation is the smallest concern). the MIL is there to give you clues to driveability probs. reaching back in my poor memory archives i believe a simple paper clip used as a jumper will survise. i will let others comment on techniqe for this adventure as i must go ply my grease monkey mastery for yet another day..........kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven