93 Geo Prizm - replacement alternator

Back in 2003 the original Delco alternator failed on my 93 Geo Prizm. I replaced it with a remanufactured Delco from Advance that came with a
lifetime warranty. The part failed about a year later, I got a replacement, and the replacement is now starting to fail.
I've read good things about the Nippondenso alternators that come with Corollas. I'm tempted to switch to one of those but the folks in the store aren't convinced that it will fit the Prizm. (Although a make/model search on their website brings up the part.) My questions:
- Will the Nippondenso fit? Will it require any adapters? - If Advance will let me switch to a ND, should I take another chance with them? - If not, how do I tell a reliable reman. alternator from the rest?
I'm in the DC area if anyone knows a good source.
Thanks, MG

Go to an auto-electric shop and have them rebuild it. You don't need to replace the entire thing; just the solid state electronics and if you're giving up on the Delco then you won't mind voiding its warranty.

Take it to Mamock's Auto Electric in Annapolis, they can probably rebuild it right. I trust them more than a parts store because they will rebuild *your* alternator in the same building that you drop it off.
Actually, if you drive out there, let me know, because I have a dead Corrado alternator that I need to have done :)
nate

Any reman alternator from Advanced or any other discount parts house is going to be crap. The internal regulator, diode, and bearing parts are crap on those remans, be they Delco or ND cores. It sounds like a blanket statement, but when you've been replacing these things as long as I have then it becomes pretty obvious.
If you want an alternator that will outlast you, get the Toyota reman unit in a ND. I don't think they source the Delcrap version anymore; my dealership certainly doesn't order or stock them. Yes, it will cost more at about $250 to $275. Last I checked, a Toyota part number 27060-15100-84 fits the 93 Corolla with either engine. Unless GM wired their harness differently, it will fit right in. I would call around Toyota dealers and find one that stocks an alternator for a 93 Corolla, tell them you want to match up your Delco unit and they will take it out of the box at the parts counter so you can verify the connector/pulley diameter/B+ stud are all the same. They won't be in *exactly* the same place, but as long as the connector is the same, you can route the Prizm's three wire harness in a way that it will fit without stretching, then wire tie it into place in a few areas for security.
I promise you that you will continue to experience failing alternators if you keep using the aftermarket remans. If you don't want to spend any money, then I would continue to install the Delcos and keep using that lifetime warranty. The part isn't hard to replace after you've done it once.
Toyota MDT in MO

This Toyota expert is talking sense -- you should heed what he says. The Denso unit WILL work -- we do it all the time. And its built a thousand times better. I would like to add this however: If you can find a Denso aftermarket dealer http://www.densoaftermarket.com/distributors/you will get the same bulletproof alternator that the Toyota dealer sells for substantially less.
Don www.donsautomotive.com

I was afraid to suggest Denso aftermarket simply because I haven't had real world experience with them. I do like some of their other offerings. How long have you used Denso remans? Are you completely satisfied with them? Thanks for the input, Don.
Toyota MDT in MO

I can't recall we've had a single defect yet. We use their alternators, starters, AC compressors, expansion valves, O2 sensors, spark plugs, and I right now I can't remember what else.
They are always my preferred choice for Toyota\Lexus, Honda\Acura and Nissan\Infiniti. Use them on Mazdas, Subarus from time to time also. Besides no defects, no catalogue errors so far. My life would be really easy if they had a broader line and I could use them for everything.
Don www.donsautomotive.com
Don wrote:

Thanks to everyone for all the great information. Today I checked with a nearby place that I'd heard good things about. They offer the part for $190. The fact that densoaftermarket.com lists them pretty much seals the deal for me. Thanks again everyone.

Which is why I buy my parts at NAPA or the Dealer, and sometimes Carquest. There is a reason why these places charge more for their parts, and that;s because their alternators last more than a month, unlike the Pep Boys / Autozone / Advance Auto, etc.
i think it would really best to replace the alternator with a new one, to avoid future problem. just look for a reliable dealer where to purchase 'Geo parts' (http://www.thepartsbin.com/guides/geo.html ), so that you won't be spending lots of money.
--
chester08
MG wrote:

Can you look at a 1993 Corolla?
I read that the Delco CS-130 alternator has a flimsy case that often cracks at the bearings and has so little metal that it can't heatsink the diodes and regulator well enough to keep them cool. There's an upgraded replacement, the CS-130d, that's supposedly a lot better, but I don't know if it will fit.

My experiences with the CS-130 have been very disappointing. These alternators are plagued with problems for the most part. If I wanted my car to be relatively troublefree, I would fit something else.
The only good report I have on a CS-130 is when I had one built up as a one-wire unit for my John Deere tractor, replacing a Bosch. The Bosch was a lot more expensive, basically. On 'Ol John', not much current is needed and the alternater sits out in fresh air so it can cool well. I have had no problem with this unit.

An internal product bulletin from Delphi indicates that the CS line actually can achieve reported output and durability claims if:
-The case is submerged in dry ice for it's entire service life and -Duty cycle is kept at or below 0%
Toyota MDT in MO
OK, I made that up. It's probably true though...

We both agree on the quality of these kamikaze alternators;>)