96 chevy truck radiator

I took the radiator out to have a leak fixed. Put it back in. The lower oil cooler line as I was tightening it felt like it was "striped" I took it out and it seemed to tighten when I put it back in but now I am worried about it.

I drove it about 20 miles today with no problems.

Does anyone know the sizr of the thread? I am thinking of purchasing a tap to clean the threads. Or should I just leave it alone?

Reply to
stryped

I would not screw around with it given that it tightened up. You are asking for trouble and will find it. Keep an eye on it for a while. Maybe keep an emergency bypass hose around. Forget that last sentence. I just like to be overly prepared.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Reply to
stryped

It is pressurized oil in there. If it was cross threaded, it would be just puking oil out.

Crescent wrenches usually start to slip on fittings so the wrench grab itself can feel strange like something is going to give....

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain writes in article dated Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:50:13 -0400:

That would be true if the thread was the seal, but I have never seen that design in plumbing or autos. Even something like an oil drain plug has threads with extra space around them so it will turn easily. The actual seal is where the inside of the bolt head contacts the oil pan.

The nut on the oil line is there to provide pressure to hold the smooth interior fitting against the nub it joins to.

That's true. There's definitely something to be said for having a set of line wrenches.

Still, I think he has a valid concern about the thing popping off its bad threads, as well as the dilemma of whether or not to mess with it.

If it were me I think I'd check by shaking the line by hand, then start it up and see if I caused a leak.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

My thought was if cross threaded, the seal wouldn't bottom. That is what I have seen on those type in the past, oil comes out fast.

Your test is right, but I would expect oil evidence.

Mike

Spud Dem>

dated Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:50:13 -0400:

Reply to
Mike Romain

dated Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:50:13 -0400:

Reply to
stryped

Does anyone know what size these threads are?

Reply to
stryped

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes in article dated 15 Sep 2005

13:47:51 -0700:

If you shook it as hard as you expect your driving to shake it, and it held, I'd say leave it alone and call it fixed. Make sure whoever drives it knows to pull over and turn the engine off if the oil light comes on, just in case.

Sorry I don't know what size those threads are.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

dated 15 Sep 2005

13:47:51 -0700:

He can't and will not leave it alone. The thought of that line popping off will haunt him until he makes it come off. Even if there is nothing wrong with the threads he is determined to back that line in and out until he does strip it. Heck, the radiator shops have to make a living too.

Reply to
Al Bundy

snipped-for-privacy@LUMINA.MITRE.ORG (Spud Demon) wrote in news:dgeon6$sik$ snipped-for-privacy@newslocal.mitre.org:

i assumed he was dealing with trans cooler lines?? and if thats the case there will be no lamp warning.........kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven

As far as the threads you could measure them and count threads. That's easily done. Or you could go to NAPA or other parts store and measure the replacement. Or the book there might show the size. Or you could take the replacement radiator at the store and match a line to that to discover the thread size. I know it would be easier if someone here just told you a size. However, I'd feel better seeing it in person.

Reply to
Al Bundy