96 Subaru brakes

I have a 96 Subaru Legacy with 4 wheel disc brakes. I'm about to change the pads in the rear.

My Chilton's manual says, "WARNING: Before beginning the procedure, determine whether your vehicle is equipped with a rear parking brake assembly. If equipped with rear parking brakes, only compress the piston slightly, or the piston screw could be damamged." And then it talks about using a "suitable tool" to rotate the piston back into the caliper bore.

Of course, the car has a rear parking brake but I thought it was just a little drum assembly within the disc assmebly.

My question is, do I have to "rotate my piston with a suitable tool"?

TIA

Andy

Reply to
andyandlynn

Shep

"See if the parking brake cable is attached to the caliper, if so you will need to rotate and depress the piston at the same time, special tools for this, if the cable goes into the backing plate no problem with the piston going straight in"

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks. I checked and the cable goes to the backing plate. Only thing on the caliper is the hydraulic hose.

Now why didn't I think of that? ;-)

Andy

Reply to
andyandlynn