96 VW Golf transmission problem?

I have a 96' VW Golf (GTI) with 4 speed automatic and 56,000 miles

Lately...when starting cold... I put gear into drive.. it'll move then disconnect...I had to lightly press the gas pedal before it re-enage the gear...happens for the first mile... afterwards it'll be ok...

What is it? need more transmission oil? if so where do I find tranmission dipstick?

Thanks! Tom (SLC, Utah)

Reply to
Thomas Gagliano

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Thomas Gagliano) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

All depends on *which* 4 speed auto trans you have. Some are not equipped with a dipstick since they are filled from underneath the vehicle.

Reply to
Death