'96 2.0 golf oil light/buzzer

I have a 96 golf 2.0 78K. The oil light/buzzer has come on twice in the last two days for an instant, less than a second each time. I was cornering both
times but when pushed harder into a tighter corner, it didn't come on. I checked oil level and it was near full. Never seen this before. Any history of oil pumps going bad in these bombproof little engines? Any other thoughts? TIA. andy
andy (trifox13atcovaddotnet) wrote: : I have a 96 golf 2.0 78K. The oil light/buzzer has come on twice in the last : two days for an instant, less than a second each time. I was cornering both : times but when pushed harder into a tighter corner, it didn't come on. I : checked oil level and it was near full. Never seen this before. Any history : of oil pumps going bad in these bombproof little engines? Any other : thoughts? There is a history of the oil sensor circuit going bad. I had an 86 long ago and it did the same thing. I don't know about your year but the older ones had two oil presure sensors and the slight flicker was the high pressure sensor, not the low pressure one.
Its worth getting the oil presure checked. If there is a problem, this will be the 1st sign of it and it could rapidly result in a very expensive problem.
If its not a real problem, find the two oil presure sensors in your car. Disconnect the wire from one and see what shows up on the dash and then disconnect the other and see wht it does. On my car one flashed and the other buzzed and was a solid light. Then reconnect them before you drive away. The low pressure sensor will be lower on the engine and the high pressure one tends to be on the top. If its just the high pressure one and the oil pressure is normal, just ignore it. If its the low pressure system, get it fixed.
On the 86 types, it appeared to be worse earlyier on cars that were keept outside in hotter areas. I'm guessing it was heat damage to the circut that is built into the back of the dash.
-tim http://web.abnormal.com
Throw a real oil gauge on that thing, and find out what it's doing.
You've got 2 low pressure switches on that thing, one that senses at idle (barely a pound or two) and another that goes off when your engine is "at speed" (around 7-10 psi or so). You tripped the last one. There is a history of problems in older cars of the circuit malfunctioning, but you won't know until you put in that oil gauge.
I don't know about the 2.0L of that vintage, but the previous 1.8L didn't like anything less than xW50 motor oil.
Tim Wohlford '89 Golf '98 Jetta
"andy" <trifox13atcovaddotnet> wrote in message

i have 1999 passat v6 an oil light comes on only after 10 min. at idle only, any help. thanks