VW Golf Stalling Problem

I have a 2000 VW Golf GLS 2.0, with 111k mi. It has developed an intersting problem. For a long while it had a rough idle when warm. It was a sort of gentle chug-chug when you stopped at a light or something. I just took it in for an oil change and now when I got it back, it idles alright, but when you step on the gas it revs to 2000 rpm then starts to stall. The rpms start to drop down to 500.

Can any one help me figure out what is going on?

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
Alfaman

Any DTCs?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I am not sure how to get the codes off of the computer. The check engine light has been on for the last 25k mi. The mechnanic said there were no codes indicating something was wrong with the car.

Thanks for your help.

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to
Alfaman

then what were the codes telling that "technician" if not something wrong with the car? I think you have a single ignition coil and maybe that could be the problem, or the Engine Speed Sensor (AKA Crank Position Sensor) or the Cam Position Sensor which might be the distributor if so equipped.

A vag-com tool with a laptop, will allow you to read the codes properly. I prefer the real tool from ross-tech.com, but copies are sold on Ebay for around $30-40.

good luck!

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

If it was OK before the oil change then take a close look for the MAF unplugged or the MAF intake hose being loose. Around here the quickie, I'm cheaper than the dealer oil change shops... we find they inspect the air filters and never put the car back together correctly.

Reply to
Woodchuck

could it be too much oil in the engine too?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I spent the afternoon working on it. I thought it might be the boot between the air intake box and the TB leaking when the revs cause the engine to cant forward. It looked loose at the throttle body. I took it apart and reattached the spring clamps more tightly and got a better seat, improving the seal. That seemed to fix it for now, but I am not exactly sure that I didn't just burn off the extra oil while I was revving the engine.

I bought a new fuel filter, but could not get the old one out. I took it to a local Midas, which did not have the tools to pull the filter, so I've got to take it to the dealer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
Alfaman