97 Accord HC emissions reaching CA state limit - any tricks?

I live in California and just got my 97 Accord smogged (230K miles). It passed, but barely. HC emissions for 15mph that was 57 with a maximum allowed of 58 it did much better at 25mph 15/42 For now I am fine, however I will need to get it resmogged right before I sell it in 6 months.

From these readings it seems like the Catalytic Converter may be on its way out.

At $800 with installation its not going to happen.

6 months from now when I need to resmog before sale, are there any things I can do to help get the HC # just below the limit. (replace air filter, injector cleaner, elevation of test facility etc.)? Thanks
Reply to
techman41973

And remember, don't smog test your car with a cold engine. Drive it for at least 30 minutes before having it tested.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Lawrence

Converter may be on

Hello, may I suggest that you research "Ultimate ME2" - an ECO Fuel Saver/ Performance Enhancing Additive for both gasoline and diesel engines - NEW - having been Independent Labs TESTED - go to

for all details and TEST Results - Buy On- line - saves 13% gasoline and 16%+ for diesel and bio-diesel engines, AND REDUCES EMISSIONS to almost ZERO ( -7% hydrocarbons; -33% carbon monoxide; and -44% oxides of nitrogen (smog) ... continuously. EG. - spend $50 and save over $100 w/ 14 - 1 oz. addtions per each 15.6 gal ( 60 L) fill-up. If you like what you see - become a distributor and sell Globally. Contact snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca for all other details. Thanks for listening. Hugh Love - 604-942-5778

Reply to
autocheck

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" said in ca.driving:

Then your only choice is to unload that POS now while it can still pass smog.

Reply to
Scott in SoCal

If the car is generally well tuned (timing belt, plugs, valve clearance, gaskets, no vacuum leak), then oxygen sensors should help. I fixed a P0420 catalytic converter efficiency below threshold problem with high HC output with two Bosch planar oxygen sensors (~$75 universal type).

Of course, those who know, Honda recommends a new converter. But with these P0420 showing up so early on some cars, I figured the cheap Denso sensors were just junk and would stay away from them.

NTK sensors (a part of the NGK/NTK company)should also be fine. IMO NGK makes excellent Iridium spark plugs.

The valve clearances usually become tight on some Hondas, so "adjust only when noisy" really don't apply. You might want to check these too if havent done so. Early exhaust valve openings might not help either.

I live in California and just got my 97 Accord smogged (230K miles).

Converter may be on

Reply to
johngdole

| Here in Canada

I saw on tv : in 1-98 Canada had record cold, here in msia we had record heat ( El Nino, air tmprtre reached 37°C ) during

1-98 to 3-98. These 2 unusual weathers look related.
Reply to
TE Chea