1987 F150 Ford & California Smog PASS OR FAIL TRICK

My 1987 F-150 V8 which I bought used a couple years ago . The truck when I got it. Went to take it to Gas Station to have it smogged. Before I bought it from the owner. This smog tech guy was kuel. He ran a pre-test on it before smogging it UHH, 3X. He had to pre-test it 3 times. And it failed 3 times. The 4th time he ran it through it Passed (BARLEY)... That one was the real test :-) Barley is good enuff for me. :-) I really needed the vehicle at the time and the price was good. Ok, Now its a few years later. And I get the paperwork from the DMV. Dreaded - (CALIFORNIA SMOG CHECK ONLY STATION). Welp as paranoid as I got reading online that. If your vehicle does not pass the California Smog Check only. Your vehicle will be BLACKLISTED in the DMV'S eyes as a GROSS POLLUTER and they will put a sticker on your vehicle that states the fact your vehicle s is a "G R O S S P O L L U T E R" & you cannot sell it if it is a gross polluter, How true that is. Not sure. Just what I read online. . And you will have to get it smogged EVERY SINGLE YEAR AT THE SMOG CHECK ONLY STATION. Welp I just got it smogged. The darn thing PASSED with flying Colors! Wahoo. Not even borderline. This Year The DMV SMOG CHECK STATION checks it with a TIMING GUN, To make sure your not playing with the timing. They Use the DYNOMETER to test actual operational speed 15MPH and 25MPH, and the usual Gas caps test. Anyways. this is what I did that got it to pass.

Tune-up

REPLACED ALL!

1- BOTTLE - GAS ADDITIVE - GURRANTEED TO PASS SMOG - OR YOUR MONEY BACK 8- A/C DELCO PLATINUM SPARK PLUGS $$$ 1- DISTRIBUTER CAP 1- ROTOR 1- SET OF SPARK PLUG WIRES 1- K&M AIR FILTER $$$ 1- BREATHER FILTER 5- QUARTS OF VALVOLENE 20-50 WEIGHT HI-MILAGE MOTOR OIL W/STOP LEAK. 1- QUART OF LUCAS CYLANDER SEAL CONDITIONER AND STOP LEAK 1- K&M HIGH PERFORMANCE OIL FILTER. $$$ 1- VACUMED ALL THE CRAP OUT OF THE TAIL-PIPE WITH MY VACUME CLEANER EDGE EXTENSION CLEANER. SHOVED A RAG UP THE TAIL-PIPE AND CLEANED ALL THE RESEDUE OUT OF THE TAILPIPE WITH THE HELP OF A SOME (FLEXABLE WIRE) AND WASHED THE AIR INTAKE CLEANER DOWN GOOD W/SOAP AND WATER) 1- DAY I SMOGGED IT I MADE SURE THE WEATHER WAS NOT TOO COLD OUT. IT WAS 75 DEGREES THAT DAY OUTSIDE I TOOK IT FOR THE SMOG. NICE AND SUNNY. (AVOIDED THE COLD DAYS) 1- RAN THE GAS TANK TO EMPTY RUNNING ON FUMES. ADDED THE GURANTEED TO PASS SMOG STUFF TO THE GAS TANK WHEN I WENT TO FILL-UP AND ADDED 92 OCTANE. DROVE THE TRUCK ON THE FREEWAY FOR EXACTLY 30 MINUTES. MAKING SURE THE ENGINE WAS BLISTERING HOT! TOOK IT RIGHT AWAY TO THE SMOG CHECK ONLY. TOLD THEM I NEEDED IT SMOGGED RIGHT THIS MINUTE OR ILL COME BACK ANOTHER TIME. (TRUCK IDLING LETS THE ENGINE COOL DOWN, BAD BAD) THEY HOOKED IT RIGHT UP AND TESTED IMMEDIATLY. NOT TURNING OFF THE ENGINE OR LETTING IT IDLE. WHEN THEY TESTED IT WAS VERY HOT. CAUSING THE ENGINE TO BURN FUEL CLEANER. AND IT FLEW THROUGH THE TEST WITHOUT A HITCH. NOT EVEN MARGINAL THIS TIME. WOW! YAHOO!

HERES THE SPECS ON THE TRUCK AND THE DETAILS OF THE INSPECTION AFTER IT PASSED:

------------------------------

1987 FORD F150 ENGINE SIZE 5.8 L ODOMETER 265,499 (YES, VERY HIGH MILES!) TRUCK WEIGHT 4250 TRANSMISSION AUTOMATIC CYLINDERS 8

15MPH - TEST

RPM = 1406

%CO2 - 12.0

%02 - 4.2

HC(PPM) MEASURED 45 (MAX=127)

CO (%) MEASURED 0.00 (MAX=0.82)

NO (PPM) MEASURED 596 (MAX=1069)

25 MPH - TEST

RPM = 1134

%CO2 - 12.0

%02 - 3.8

HC(PPM) MEASURED 33 (MAX=98)

CO (%) MEASURED 0.01 (MAX=1.03)

NO (PPM) MEASURED 436 (MAX=1087)

Reply to
Micky

Barley? Kuel? enuff? Welp? and Then throw in Random capitalization Syndrome....

Reply to
bomar

Dude! Maybe you should have cut fewer classes in grade school!

Reply to
Tom F.

Welp, look at it this way. He got a tune-up out of it.

Reply to
Joe

I'll bet it was the "K&M HIGH PERFORMANCE OIL FILTER$$$" that solved the problem. See if they make a HIGH PERFORMANCE FUEL FILTER to get that Barley out of the tank before it ferments.

Reply to
gw

Tom,

Try growing up and learning a little class yourself. I guess it makes you feel important to pick on someone grammer. Makes you feel big and tough.

Smartguy!

Reply to
Micky

Well, you did sound like a retard.

Reply to
Buddy Guy

I would avoid the oil additives in the future. Most of them are a waste of money at best. I've also found that most of the gimmick spark plugs are a joke too.

One thing that is well worth the money in the long run and will make the engine run cleaner is a MSD ignition. One will set you back around $150 and you'll need a $17 Ford adapter. If all else fails, drive the truck north to southern Oregon and sell it there.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:38:26 -0700, Buddy Guy rearranged some electrons to form:

He still does.

Reply to
David M