97 Blazer rough start Dies

Hello everyone!

I've had my blazer for a few years and I am approaching 120k in miles. I did a tune up (Spark plug wires, plugs, rotor and cap) at about 85k. I just replaced the fuel filter. When I start up the beast, sometimes it runs fine, sometimes when the idle comes down from the start, it shakes and dies. Lately, it has been shaking and dieing, so I give it gas for a minute, and that solves the problem temporarly.

I tested the fuel pressure and it is around 55psi running. I havn't yet busted out my GM mechanical books to verify the normal operating pressure. I was suspicious of the battery considering it is about 2 years old and I recently installed an elaborate sound system, but I've been monitoring the voltage and it is normally not below 11.5V when I attempt to start and the problem is still occuring.

No engine light as of now.

Ideas? Throw them at me!

Thank you!

Kory

Reply to
Kory.Kendziora

what happens to your fuel pressure when it stops running? Does it stay up at all? I wouldnt rule the fuel pump out just yet or a stuck EGR. Did it start this behavior after you changed the fuel filter?

You can rule the battery out if its cranking strong each time.

my .02, maybe even try reading the codes. Theres a zillion ideas.

Reply to
ed

Check and clean the IAC valve and it's passages. The valve pintle can get gummed up with deposits and stick. May or may not be the problem, but it's easy to check.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

If yours has the 4.3 Vortex engine, (you should tell the engine size),

55 psi/runn> Hello everyone!
Reply to
dahpater

Thank you all for your input. I'm going to check the fuel preassure with the vehicle off and see if it maintains. The problem was occuring before the fuel filter was changed. I have also ruled out the battery because it maintains a goo 11.5V minimum after sitting for an extended period of time. It appears to me to most likely be the IAC valve considering it is intermittant and runs fine at a regular idle speed.

I'll update everyone.

Thanks again!

Kory

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Kory.Kendziora

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com:

Your battery is *severely* undercharged to the pount that it's essentially flat. This may well be the root cause of your problem.

A fully charged battery is 12.65V at 80F, and 12.52V at 0F.

How to check your battery's state-of-charge:

see the table just past half-way down on that page.

Reply to
Tegger

I fixed the problem~ It was the IAC valve. I just sprayed it with some Carb cleaner and brushed it a bit and it is as good as new!

Thank you for your contribution!

Kory

Pete C. wrote:

Reply to