97 Civic running a little cold...

The temp gauge should be pointing to about 2 o'clock (according to the manual) but is actually down to about 4 o'clock. obviously the idea that
the car is running too cold is ridiculous (unless Santa has taken up residence under the hood and is making it snow).
so what's up with the gauge saying she's cold? just a bad gauge?
mdr
It could mean a worn out thermostat. If the interior heat is lower than normal, it would indicate that.
Or maybe the plug and socket for the sensor is just in need of a clean. Contact cleaner is best but WD40 will work also.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id !20343242 (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
Mark wrote:

thanks. I'll check that. cold enough in TX to be checking your heater these days...
mark

that
My 96 Accord and my friend's 00 Accord, both temp gauge point to 4 o'clock. I believe this is normal for a Honda. My 01 corolla's temp gauge points to 3 o'clock.
Ted

manual says it isn't but I wonder if it has always been that way and I just didn't notice.
mdr

that

Well, how is the heat in the car?? if it is hot enough, then it isn't your thermostat...
Fwed

More than likely a bum thermostat. Don't let run cold too long, it'll cost you in fuel mileage, and make it sludge up faster.
Erik